Factorytalk view password reset button problem

Nan

Hi all,

I am having an issues that is when I hit the password reset button, I can not see the tag names for old password, new password, reenter password. See attached picture. Thank you very much!

IMG_20150928_192512.jpg

The original integrator does not want the passwords readily discoverable.

If you have the source apa or acd, you should be able to work with.

If you have neither, get in touch with the OEM.

Why does your RIM process use centigrade for temperature and PSI for pressure? Just curious

Because that is the setting I have been told to do....

I have the apa and acd, can you be more specific about how to fix this?

Thank you!

If you are in the developer environment (Studio ME), if the entry bars are numeric or string entry, then you should be able to find the tags locally in the panelview, or in the plc.

If the bars are LOGIN, then it is Windows based security developed by adding USERS on the OEM developer computer, and you may not be able to decompile the users/passwords.

The good news is if you have the APA, you can abandon the OEM security strategy, and roll-your-own. Either Windows based logons, or PLC based logons.

Sorry for asking again.... How can I abandon the OEM security... and use windows based.
Thank you very much!

Plastic,

I'm sorry but I don't think this is Security related. Text is missing here, not User accounts or string data.

I think you are viewing the popup in the above image as a user created display with user created numeric entry objects and the like?

This is the Change Password object which is called from a Password button object. It is a generic component within View Studio.

The three blank buttons on the left of the Change Password display normally contain the text...

Old Password (F2)

New Password (F3)

Confirm Password (F4)

The blank button in the bottom right corner is the Escape button which normally has the text...

ESC

The "hfi" text you see at the top should normally read...

Change Password
FactoryTalk Service

These are generic text strings which are included in the application's selected language file. They are not determined by security settings, User accounts, or any tag data.

Nan,

Because the Change Password display is using the older dark Blue/Black colour scheme, you must be using FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition v7 or older. FTView ME v8 uses a new look Change Password display colour scheme which is brighter and is also somewhat smaller in size.

The language file is most likely corrupted and needs repairing. You must do this manually. To check and repair it you go to Tools>Languages and then select Export and continue until you have a *.txt file saved to the default location.

Open this file in Notepad and scroll down until you reach the section with...

Code:
Pop-Up	Change Password	1	""
Pop-Up	Change Password	2	""
Pop-Up	Change Password	3	""
Pop-Up	Change Password	20	""
Pop-Up	Change Password	21	""

If the text string fields are blank "", like the above, or odd characters are present then the language file was corrupted an you have to manually re-enter the correct default text strings for each instance. I have exported an English language file from an application to provide the necessary strings. You can copy/paste the following into your file and then save it...

Code:
Pop-Up	Change Password	1	"Change Password"
Pop-Up	Change Password	2	"User Name:"
Pop-Up	Change Password	3	"Old Password (F2)"
Pop-Up	Change Password	4	"New Password (F3)"
Pop-Up	Change Password	5	"Confirm Password (F4)"
Pop-Up	Change Password	6	"ESC"
Pop-Up	Change Password	7	"The password for %s cannot be changed because the new and confirmation passwords do not match. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	8	"The password for %s cannot be changed because the associated user account has been disabled or deactivated. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	9	"The password for %s cannot be changed because the user name or password is incorrect. Please type the correct user name or password. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	10	"The password for %s cannot be changed because the password for a Windows-Linked user account can only be changed in Windows. Please complete the appropriate steps to change your Windows password. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	11	"The password for %s cannot be changed because it exceeds %d characters. Please type a password of the correct length. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	12	"The password for %s cannot be changed. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	13	"The password for %s cannot be changed because the current password must be active for at least %d days. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	14	"The password for %s cannot be changed because the password has previously been used. Please type a unique password. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	15	"The password for %s cannot be changed because it must be at least %d characters in length. Please type a password of the correct length. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	16	"The password for %s cannot be changed because it does not meet complexity requirements. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	17	"The password for %s cannot be changed because access is denied. Contact your system administrator for more information."
Pop-Up	Change Password	18	"Your password will expire in %d days. Please enter a new password."
Pop-Up	Change Password	19	"Your password has expired. Please enter a new password."
Pop-Up	Change Password	20	"You are required to change your password at first logon."
Pop-Up	Change Password	21	"Your password will expire in less than 1 day. Please enter a new password."

Once that's done you can import the language text file back into the application. Again, you go to Tools>Languages and select Import. When you get to the Select File window, if the *.txt file is not displayed in the box then browse to the file and select Open. It will then be visible in the Select File window and you can proceed. The text strings for the Change Password should now be reinstated.

I'm not sure about that "hfi" text because it's not listed in the text file? Hopefully it will also be corrected once everything else is right. If not, then something stranger is at play here?

Note: When you perform an Export or Import there are automatically generated text files also stored to the default location (ExportErrors.txt, ImportErrors.txt). These are Error reporting files for both operations. Even if it all executes Error free, these files are still created. You can open them when each operation is finished and see if they are empty. If so you can just delete them.

You can then compile a new MER file and test it.

I hope this is all that is wrong here for you.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Problem solved! Geospark, thank you very much! I really appreciate it! Also thank Plastic for the idea and information.