Safety design - diffrent questions

I would definitely encourage you to learn about the safety standards and requirements in your country.

I think the standards that Performance Levels come from were designed to line up with the requirements of the EU. A brief googling suggests that Sweden is semi-aligned with the European Union, so I don't know if you've adopted their safety requirements, or have your own.

I know for a fact that America has (at best) fuzzy safety standards that basically boil down to "don't let people get hurt". Where there are specific rules, most people haven't updated from how they did things in the 70's and 80's. Not a knock on my American colleagues, but take anything specific we say about safety with a big grain of salt. Put 4 random American controls engineers in a room, and you'll probably get 6 different ideas about what is the absolutely only correct way to do the safety on a machine.

Our standards is basicly directly translated from 60204-1, 13849-1 and 13850. I have both 60204-1 and 13849-1 also, but there are always room for discussion and interpretion. As with the topic I have started here :)

Our standards is basicly directly translated from 60204-1, 13849-1 and 13850. I have both 60204-1 and 13849-1 also, but there are always room for discussion and interpretion. As with the topic I have started here :)

Hah, fair. I guess what I was meaning is most Americans aren't commenting on what those specific standards. They're usually commenting on whatever they happen to do, which is often at best based on best practices from an American standard that takes a very different approach to safety.

Iner, i started my career in 1984 and cannot remember seeing a machine that didn't have an e-stop, i can be wrong.

james

I have seen and installed some of these.

By exemple, a worksation for the assembly of plastic car bumpers. The operator put the bumper on his workstation, it is detected and then blocked by aspiration with a venturi system. The operator can then work on his part, clipping, screwing, riveting, stappling with the PLC controlling the number of screws, rivets, staples. It's also lighting differents lamps on different racks to help pick the right parts to add, with the HMI telling what operation to do next and the PLC checking with sensors (laser, inductive, capacitive or even vision) that the parts have been assembled. And at the end, it prints a label for traceability and release the bumper.

There is no danger, so no e-stop and no safety relay. Just a main switch and a simple stop button.

Last edited: