Siemens s7 to Ethernet IP devices

UKB

Hello,

I would like to connect an S7 1200 to 2 other devices, both of which are using Ethernet/IP.

The Siemens website suggests this is possible using send and receive blocks

here

Has anyone done this before, can you offer any pointers?

Kind Regards

That site mentions Iso on TCP... I think you'd have to know the EthernetIP communication protocol to then implement it with those.

Siemens do have GET/PUT functions to talk directly with Rockwell using CIP, but I believe that they are for S7-1500 only. I don't have an S7-1200 to test the instructions with. They do work though.

Hi,
the 2 other devices are;
Schneider Lexium 32
lexium-32-comms-overview.png

keyence lk g 5000
keyence-comms.png

I would expect both devices to be slaves, with the PLC as a master, issuing commands and requesting data..

There is no native solution for Ethernet/IP in Siemens. You will need to use a gateway like the one sigmadelta proposed.

Ethernet/IP is an application protocol on top of TCP/UDP and IP.

Hi Guys - thanks for the replies -
What do you make of this tech note from Siemens, it seems like you can send and receive raw TCP or UDP data using these blocks;

tcp-siemens.png

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=f1b2829530b7ab4b5b424a29fd186499
- pdf link

I can give the Schneider drive an IP address, - I define that IP address in the datablock related to the TSend_C instruction...

Is it hypothetically possible to implement EIP on your own via those blocks? sure it is.

Would it cost your boss more money to buy the EIP spec and then pay you to implement and test that solution than to just use a canned solution? absolutely.

I strongly recommend using a different communications option. The other posters have mentioned a number of alternatives. In order of my preference:

1)The SE devices appear to have an option for using Profinet, although this may require a HW change. PN is supported natively in the 1200s.

2) The SE devices probably support Modbus TCP, which you can call with blocks in the 1200.

3) Buy an EIP to PN gateway. Most of the Siemens distributors I've worked with also carry the Hilscher Nettaps, and support the working together. Plenty of other options are also out there, include the above mentioned anybus.

https://www.hilscher.com/products/p...r-the-control-cabinet-ip20/fieldbus-gateways/

Hi Guys - thanks for the replies -
What do you make of this tech note from Siemens, it seems like you can send and receive raw TCP or UDP data using these blocks;

tcp-siemens.png

https://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=f1b2829530b7ab4b5b424a29fd186499
- pdf link

I can give the Schneider drive an IP address, - I define that IP address in the datablock related to the TSend_C instruction...

You can send raw UDP/TCP packets using these instructions. However, the Ethernet/IP device will ignore it completely.

Like mk42 is saying, if you grab the full specifications of Ethernet/IP, you could take a few months to try to implement it into the siemens PLC. Apparently, you can do UDP multicast with it.But you are taking the risks to run into a few roadblocks. I am doubting S7 1500 ability to integrate the full Ethernet/IP standard with a PLC application program.

Is it hypothetically possible to implement EIP on your own via those blocks? sure it is.

Would it cost your boss more money to buy the EIP spec and then pay you to implement and test that solution than to just use a canned solution? absolutely.

I strongly recommend using a different communications option. The other posters have mentioned a number of alternatives. In order of my preference:
I totally agree with you that it will be extremely costly to communicate a Siemens PLC to an EtherNet/IP adapter if the purpose is to develop an EtherNet/IP scanner on the Siemens side.
But if the application does not need cyclic communication (what is called implicit messaging in EtherNet/IP) which can provide few milliseconds refresh time, and the application would be OK with refresh cycles of a few seconds (or perhaps a few hundreds of milliseconds), I think it might be possible to develop an UCMM (unconnected message manager) capable CIP client in the Siemens PLC. By using explicit messaging (as oppossed to implicit) and unconnected messaging (as opposed to connected), it would still be not trivial, but far less complex than to develop a full scanner, to write a CIP UCMM client that would send GetAttributeSingle and SetAttributeSingle requests to class ID 4 (Assembly object), to the assembly instance IDs mentioned in the documentation of the product posted above, and the Attribute ID 3 (which is the data instance attribute of the Assembly object). All you need to do is use the correct Siemens PLC function with the correct EtherNet/IP session overhead and the CIP path for the logical segment (Class ID, Instance ID, Attribute ID) with the required service (Get or Set). If UKB is interested I can provide further explanation on this approach which intrigues me as I had never thought about it. Since the PLC would not need to manage connections, it would be like a Modbus TCP client application sending periodically Mobdus queries (read or write) to a Mobdus TCP server.