Retrieving analog input data

zorbio

I have a strain gauge attached to a load cell. The strain gauge is wired into an analog channel on a ControlLogix 1769 controller at +/-10V.

How can I get the load data from the load cell on Studio 5000?

I assume you mean in the control logix program, just use SCP (Scale with parameters function parameterise the function with the analog input channel the location of the scaled data and the zero/span values (could be variables to calibrate them), I currently do not have studio or RS5000 loaded so cannot give an example and this is from memory

I have a strain gauge attached to a load cell. The strain gauge is wired into an analog channel on a ControlLogix 1769 controller at +/-10V.

How can I get the load data from the load cell on Studio 5000?

Strain gauges typically give output in the mV range. You may have a hard time getting meaningful values when connected to a 0..10V analog input. Some PLC brands have strain gauge modules, otherwise you may use either an analog or digital amplifier. I use Penko digitizers. There are more (e.g. Laumas and Mettler Toledo also spring to mind).

Toine is right, I assumed the strain gauge had an amplifier, personally I would use 4-20ma as it is better suited to noise immunity and voltage drop, there are many load cell amplifiers and most have the advantage of programming zero and span. For example Metler Toledo and an advantage of having a local display.

Hi, Zorbio
I don't mean to be difficult, and correct me if I missed something, but there is no SCP instruction in 5000. My boss gave me a formula to use in a CPT instruction, but it is clunky looking and difficult to modify. What I do is create a function block routine and use the SCL instruction with the input and output tags. It's easy to look at values on either input or output, I can change values (like if the customer changed a sensor or gave me the wrong scaling (range) of the sensor.
Anyway, hope this helps. I see you may need a signal amplifier. Wish you the best, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited: