Need HMI Emulator for RSLogix 5000

iadapt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am aware of FTV, but I am looking for an alternative with an emulator that will work with a physical CompactLogix processor..

I was wondering what other HMI emulators work with RSLogix 5000. I have the physical processor and am using the Windows 10, OS system.

Hello OkiePC, I am working with that software, but have had some difficulty getting it to work. Sending messages to RL Support now.
I hope it will work.

If not back to the hunt for a substitute.

Thanks OkiePC

Hello OkiePC, Red Lion says the emulator wont work and that I need to test my program with a physical HMI. Then why do they even have an emulator, is my question to them.

Have you used the Crimson 3 emulator with a physical PLC?

Hi,

I know very little about FTV. What you are trying to "emulate"? I/O?

Last edited:
Hello OkiePC, Red Lion says the emulator wont work and that I need to test my program with a physical HMI. Then why do they even have an emulator, is my question to them.

Have you used the Crimson 3 emulator with a physical PLC?

Describe your problems...maybe we can help

I have a 1769-l18er with a small program on it. I would like to connect my laptop to the PLC go online and use an HMI emulator to control my PLC IO.

Just to test some code I am working with.

Excel ?

I've got a RSLinx Gateway license, so I just "emulate" an HMI with Excel.

I'm usually ready to test aspects of my code before the HMI team is ready with their visualization, so I just make a few quick links between Excel and the PLC, maybe add some conditional formatting in Excel to help catch my eye, and I'm ready to test.

It's nice because I can create any formulas that I need, displaying text instead of status numbers, and organize the data the way that I need, not what the spec says the customer needs.

The "graphics" aren't great (although I have dropped a bitmap of a P&ID as my background, then used conditional formatting to change the color of the cell where the valves are located based on their status. Still crude, but it's fast and enough until the real HMI is ready (and is useful when I'm not near an HMI and need one).

Hello Bob O, I am going to retry AdvancedHMI again tonight. But for some reason I couldn't get the HMI and PLC to communicate. Seems, real damn easy to network, but I will try again tonight.

Never used Excel the way your doing Ardwizz. I don't have Gateway, but maybe someday.

Over 10 years ago, I used RSLinx Professional and Excel to create "HMI Screens" on Excel, using DDE.

Now, extending your question a little bit further...I wish I could make Crimson 3.0 Emulator "talk" to Studio 5000 Emulate. There must be a way.

I have created an excel spreadsheet that uses an ActiveX DLL to read and write to the Logix controllers.

It uses VBA code behind the scenes to do whatever you want.

It works well for testing code and also logging data if needed.

I created some tags in the controller that mimic the old SLC layout, but the tags can be any tag names you choose.

Logix.jpg

Over 10 years ago, I used RSLinx Professional and Excel to create "HMI Screens" on Excel, using DDE.

Now, extending your question a little bit further...I wish I could make Crimson 3.0 Emulator "talk" to Studio 5000 Emulate. There must be a way.

There might be a way if you have a licensed version of RSLinx that supports DDE/OPC topics. I don't know much about Studio 5000 Emulate, but with RSLogix Emulate 500, there was a driver created called EMU-500 that would appear in RSLinx. That driver would allow RSLogix 500 software to access the emulated SLC, but i never tried to access the emulated SLC with 3rd party software. I do recall using the OPC features in RSLinx Gateway (licensed version of RSLinx) to set up RSView32 communication to an emulated SLC, but that close to 20 years ago and the details are fuzzy.

I have Emulate 500 and Crimson on this laptop (but only RSLinx Lite), so if I get time to run a test, I will report back, but even if that is successful, that doesn't mean it could be done with Studio 5k Emulate...

Hello Bob O, I am going to retry AdvancedHMI again tonight. But for some reason I couldn't get the HMI and PLC to communicate. Seems, real damn easy to network, but I will try again tonight.

Just follow the 6 standard steps, very easy!

AHMI.png

btw, AAHMI is not an emulator , but rather full feature HMI.

Last edited: