S7-300

Bob Mattos

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have, until now, been able to resist working on Siemens PLCs. However, I have a client that bought an old machine with a Siemens S7-300 (CPU314). It seems to be working with 1 exception. the brake on the unwind reel won't release. After some troubleshooting I have determined that it is the PLC output that is not energizing. I can manually energize the brake relay and release the brake. I now need to determine if the output is bad or if the PLC is rightly holding it off. After, trying to research here and on Siemens web page, I figure I need some advice. I would like to just download a trial version of the software (which apparently now must be with Tia Portal). I also was unable to determine the correct cable for connecting to my PC. Most of the old posts on this site have old outdated links, some work, some don't. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Hi Bob,

Where is your customer? Any chance they have a copy of the program or can you get a hold of the OEM and get the program, I can print it out if you can zip it up

TIA will work on some but not all 300's, I dont know if all the older ones are supported

They are in Moonville and no copy of the program. Machine was bought from another company (who probably bout it from another company, and so on...). I didn't even have a panel schematic for the troubleshooting. It may be possle to contact the OEM but I am not too hopeful.

I would contact your local Siemens distributor, see if they will swing by and upload the program... most of the time they will or its worth a shot

Im about an hour south, I will come and do it but its not free

If you get the full part number I can see if its listed in the TIA and that should tell you if the demo version will upload the program, should be 6ES73xx.xxxx.xxxx

I don't see anything that starts with 6ES7 but it does have 314-5AE03-0AB0 on the bottom left of the face and 314CPU IFM on the top right

If it is an old machine, you will need Simatic Manager. Depending on the model, you may also need an MPI/Profibus to USB adapter ($400 list).

If this is your only client, and Mr. Genius is within an hour distance, I would take him up on his offer.

If you can get hold of the actual software, you will be able to run a trial license for several weeks. Not sure what the free lite version allows you to do.

The purchase price is about $ 1750 list for the unlimited license. They have temporary licenses from about $ 300.

They all start with 6ES7 and its on the side... but thats all we need, I will check give me a couple minutes

Being that this is an older CPU I expect you'll need to use S7-manager(classic).

I am local to you and have the software, if you need a hand with the upload send me a PM and I can try and help.
-Dan

There is no ethernet. I will try calling Wesco and maybe ride back over to the plant and look on the side of the PLC for a number if I need to. Thanks for the help.

I now need to determine if the output is bad or if the PLC is rightly holding it off.

From then failures I remember in the past the output card LED would still show the proper status (lighting up when on), you just wouldn't get voltage. I don't think I have seen a failure where the output LED didn't work... But I guess it could be possible.

I am assuming it is the standard S7-300 rack mounted IO card.

So if the LED isn't on then the program most likely isn't enabling it

and maybe ride back over to the plant and look on the side of the PLC for a number if I need to.

No need to get them, the ones you provided are enough

sigmadelta said:
You can download the trial version for V5.6+SP1 here:

https://support.industry.siemens.com...dti=0&lc=en-MA

...but you still need at least the PC Adapter USB, which connects to the MPI or Profibus networks.

Try downloading 5.6 trial and get our cable... you should be able to upload the program https://www.plccable.com/siemens-plc-s7-usb-to-mpi-profibus-dp-ppi-32-64-bit-6gk1571-0ba00-0aa0/

Or give Dan a call