Rockwell Module Add-On Profile hiding ....

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Pretty sure I should know the answer to this, but stumped....

I am working on an oldish Logix5000 (ControlLogix) project, version 16.

The client wants to add 1794 Flex I/O using 1794-AENTR modules, but the "New Module" dialog doesn't list it, just the AENT.

Think I might have to install the 1794-AENTR Add-On Profile, but I can't find it in the RA downloads area .....

Anyone know where it is hiding ?

Ran into the same thing a while back..

From answer id 585595

"The built-in profile for the 1794-AENTR is selectable in RSLogix 5000 Version 20 and later
For earlier versions select the 1794-AENT and Disable Electronic Keying
The module functionality is transparent between the 1794-AENT and 1794-AENTR"

There isn't(or wasn't) an AOP for the AENTR.

Thanks Dravik, rather thought that was the situation...

So how do you configure it then, does the redundant port automatically take the next IP address, swapping them over if the Primary port fails ?

1794-AENTR has only one IP address.
Two ports are on the same network and usually used for DLR or daisy-chain connections.

Hmm, interesting, not what I thought would be the case.

But to be on the safe side I will reserve the next IP address anyway, that way there can be no conflict whatever the ports decide to be....

Can't be any harm in doing that.

You can reserve IP address, but it will never be used with 1794.
Even modern Adapters in 5069 and 5094 platforms use only one IP address.
The only adapter that does two IPs is 1715-AENTR.

Also you may be confused about “ the redundant port” - “R” stands for Ring capabilities.
This is simply AENT with built-in two port Ethernet switch that supports DLR.
May be you need to check with your customer if they actually need AENTR and can’t live with AENT?

Last edited:
Actually, the 1756-EN2TP, EN2TPK and EN2TPKX EtherNet/IP bridges used as Remote I/O adapters provide true network redundancy too via 2 independent Ethernet ports LAN A and LAN B.

The 'P' probably stands as an abbreviation for PRP or 'Parallel Redundancy Protocol'.

Said bridges will need to be used in conjunction with PRP capable Ethernet media/switches in order to implement networking redundancy.

Last edited: