GE Fanuc RX3i CPE305 Profinet

sjohnson

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know Once again I may be sailing in Uncharted Waters but thought I would throw it out there anyway. I have a Emotron TSA52-450 Soft Start with a Profinet 2 Port Module 01-5385-62. I got kind of Spoiled with Emerson Now Nidec as Profinet was Straight forward mapping each parameter directly into the configuration was pretty simple. The Emotron not so simple. It gives you the Basic Byte of 0-3 and Bit for Start Stop Direction Ect. Mapping of some of the other parameters are in an spreadsheet Addressed similar to modbus addressing one would imagine having to do a blk_mov but since coms are already defined in the hardware setup no com_Req?. Anyone had to do any mapping of advanced parameters in with Profinet and if I am on the right track or far left field. I couldn't find any other information on GE site with Profinet so though I would throw it out here. Thanks again..

Have you already tried to add this to your hardware configuration with the GSDML file?

You may find that when you do, you can address each of the bytes with %I and %Q as appropriate.
If that is indeed possible, then you should be able to use the appropriate bits from the configured bytes and just program directly.

A coworker programmed a Festo CPX and used the MOVE_BOOL instruction.
The Festo was similar in that it configured with bytes, but listed bits in its manual.

Thanks for the Reply, Yes I have mapped in the Configuration see Attached.. In the manual it only shows the basic Parameters Byte 0,1,2,3 Pages 134,135,136,137,138 of the options manual. On page 144-145 of the options manual it says how to map additional Parameters but kind of reverts back to the main manual and under communication settings but serial on the footnote on page 144,but it has an address format for each communication Modbus Profibus Ethercat Profinet Shown on page 139 of the main . Im looking at parameters down in the 800 block of the xls not sure what bite that would be and if i have to remap them somehow using a blk move or do I use the word Function as per page 142 of the options manual.. I know just a brief example in the big three PLC Types would go a long way right about now..

byte.JPG

Attachments

• communication-v1.28-tsa.en.xls
    279 KB · Views: 1
  • MAIN.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 14
  • OPTION.pdf
    814.9 KB · Views: 7
Page 126 of Options.pdf from your last post may give a partial clue.

It looks to me that for Extended mode, you just need to add "Input 2 word" and "Output 2 word" to your module list.

When I did it as a test, the new items configured as %AI00001 and %AQ00001.

On page 142, it looks like word 1 is the Modbus address and word 2 is the data.
This might explain the Excel file.

Hello NetNathan Thanks for the Reply.. I am Using the IC695PNC001 Profinet control Module..

dYoast Thanks for the Reply. This is an Example of why it is confusing.. page 126 Top Note: " Not Recommended for

New Designs . Use additional process value instead See Chapter 2.5.7 page 42.. When looking at that page they refer to modbus and can open.Serial but no mention of profinet .. See Attached.. I thought by reading to get to the extended Parameter for read and write you map those parameters to the FB parameters 2634 2661 2669 ect page 144 and read those remapped registers .. Flipping through the pages i did find Another clue as to why i can remap them in the software all FB parameters (Greyed out)though you would think one could. Seems like im getting closer by what i thought. Remap the parameters to the FB Parameters and read write them from there. but you would think you could just read and write to any parameter But maybe you are correct it is just they don't come right out and say it..As it seems there are a couple ways to do it but not really explaining it or giving any examples of such.. as per page 85 looks like the best detailed answer i have. But seems this is for regrouping or remapping and ill try your way for just reading direct to the parameter.Trying to set it up before the drive even gets here as many questions would be answered if i had it to work with..they do show a pdf with example but it is TIA Siemens maybe money ahead to look at how they do it.. Regards

regroup.JPG map.JPG

Attachments

• 180725_Emotron_Profinet_TIA_Example_Manual_S7x.pdf
    820.2 KB · Views: 4
Several Profinet devices I connect to with GE RX3i require doing a "Swap Word" on the incoming registers to see the data correctly.

To be honest I Actually Never used the "Swap Word" Function

Do not feel bad....
Me either till I started using Profinet to RX3i. But it is pretty easy...

It is an instruction.
Right click at logic placement location and select "place instruction".
Then search "Swap Word" and select to place it in the logic.
You will place the start register from the Profinet device on the left side and the start register where you want to place the swapped data.
If it is 2 words you want to swap, then you will click in the center of the "Swap Word" block and type "2" then enter, you will see a 2 in the center of the instruction, this means you are swapping 2 registers.
So if you swap 2 registers starting at %R1001 and move the swapped data to %R2001. 2001R and 2002R will have the swapped data from 1001R and 1002R.

Do you follow me?

You will notice I started dropping the % field and added the R to the rear. If you did not know, this is an easy way of searching and entering data.
It is easier to enter search data for 1001R than %R1001 or 100I instead of %I1, same thing when you are adding reference points or words to logic.

Last edited:
Ok Yes I get that. How the swap word works just never used it. I also Use Just the 1I, 5I, 3Q, 202M when searching. I do the %R Ect when letting Proficy find next available Variable to address to. Only problem with that it will use everything after the most last one used.. So if you have gaps you need to enter them manually....But thanks for the information.. So if it is that easy.. Ill add a 2 word input from the Profinet configuration see attached.. Address it to 901R or %R00901 I want to read Parameter 841D from the XLS spreadsheet which is addressed 1418 profinet. Word one being the address and word two being the Current I1 Value if it is like the earlier post. Would I make an initial Value of 1418 into R901 for the address to read from or Move a 1418 into R901 and Read the Value of the current into R902 and swap if needed. Sounds legit but for some reason don't sound as if it will fly. I guess I had it to easy With the Emerson Drives (Control Techniques) now Nidec Laying out all the parameters for me. Didn't get any simpler really.They really Spent some time with the GSDML making it user friendly.

Swap.JPG

The swap word is almost same function as move, but the bytes are swapped.
So your move function from 901R to 1901R can be a swap word instead, then it does not take 2 functions. PLUS if you swap 2 words at the same time with the same instruction, you will swap both 901R and 902R and send the swapped data to 1901R and 1902R. Presently you see there is a "1" in the move and swap word instructions. If you select the instruction and press "2" enter, it will change from 1 to 2, which means you are performing the instruction on 2 continuous registers (words).
I do not believe you need to swap the data back to send commands to drive. Regrettably most of my Profinet logic is pulling data only, not sending.

100% of my Profinet Experience was laid out for me. Well not really but much easier. (See Attached).. Problem is the options manual. Just reading the section with Profinet it jumps righ into don't use this for new designs. Then to Profibus then right into Modbus explanation about waiting for one message before reading another.This brings me back to the comm_Req and blmove_int type programming. Then it lays out read parameter which right now is all i want to do it does lay out you can add 8 additional bytes into the FB which i get I can remap into those parameters on page 123 124 page 85. But the simple task of Reading a parameter states page 140 If one wants to Read a Parameter The first word in the message to the main product should be 0xffff and the second word should be set to modbus address.. same goes for profinet? who knows as it doesn't saysince profibus address is much faster ect ect so we assume it does? the second word will always return data.. which are long in eint format or GE DINT i gather but right back to the top not intended for new designs ect and only intended for AC Drives.. .. see page 42 back to serial and remapping of data.. round and round we go.. so I answered my own question as no it wont fly Plan B Remap the 8 additional bits and if i am correct it is the only way right now with the Profinet as limited to the firmware and the GSDML limitations. But it does have the addressing for the Profinet so one could potentially read and write to any parameter but i have no idea how one would or if it can be done through com Req and Function blocks blockmov.Ge make no mention of it in any manual.did find some info on siemens found interesting and that is how they did it.. So for now ill do the 8 bits and send them a email asking if it is just limited to 8 reads and writes with profinet extended past the 4 basic bytes. and Thanks for Your Input. Really Helped just was never limited like this before and the manual very confusing to say the least.

SIDEBYSIDE.JPG

Attachments

• !Start_181005_TSA_PN_TIA_V14_r01_CG.docx.pdf
    651 KB · Views: 1
  • 181005_TSA_settings.dat.pdf
    229 KB · Views: 0
  • Variables FB1 .pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
I did send out a Note to the service dept asking about the limitations of writing to the drive. The addressing is there same as it would be for modbus but GE has no documentation on doing any communications outside the Standard setup and GSDML file. If the addressing is there you should be able to read and write to each parameter with their address but cant really do a com_req since you have already established coms but maybe back to my original question doing it with a blkmove. Granted not the correct way of doing it but giving the modbus like addressing one assumes it can. Just limited be the firmware and the developers of the GSDML i assume.I see why you might need to do the SWAP_WORD instruction it is dependent on which byte come first the LSB or the MSB.But for now it seams it is limited to the remapping of 8 read and 8 writes to the FB Parameters and Adding the word into the Module setup. If I find any more information I will update the thread Thanks again.

Hello, As Stated I will Update in case others may need some direction with Profinet and Emotron Soft Start Or Frequency Inverters.One thing with Profinet Each Manufacture has its own way of doing things. I found some Easier than others, One thing to take note with the Emotron You must have the same amount as Input as Output Data Programed in the Controller. Even if you do not use it. This Profinet will be looking for the same amount of input data as output data. See attached. The Profinet module Emotron has some nice features and knows if the controller is stopped on the GE and it knows what data is Expected to be Programmed in the GE controller. Also to take note You must use Modbus Register Mapping in the Emotron not the Profinet.. and not sure why this is as I haven't received a Reply as to why the Profinet Register Mapping don't work.. This was Programmed in Proficy Version 9.0 and A RX3i CPE305

hog.JPG

Attachments

• TEST_7_RX3i_WPROFINETCHS007_9HOG.zip
    48 KB · Views: 0