Multiple sessions of Rslinx

PFrog

Hello,

I have RSLinx running on a VM (server 2012 R2). If one user is using it, it is prevented from running in another session. I did see a tech note which was covering it,if it were setup to run as an admin. My setup is not, and it doesn't appear to be directly security related as when I close my session, the other session can immediately open.

Any ideas?

i'm not sure if I am stating this correctly.

if you have a 1 user license installed, then only 1 user can run the program at a time.

on our server, we have factory talk ??? with concurrent licenses.
x licenses for slc 500
x licenses for plc5
x licenses for logix 5000

we have the same setup for autocad, minitab……
regards,
james

RSLinx is installed independently on each VM or the main computer.

Are you saying if RSLinx is open in one VM that it will not open in another? Or the second VM runs, but can't communicate?

When it runs it may be tying up the communication port/adapter so that the other RSLinx can't use it. COM ports & USB adapters can only be used by one user at a time, and it might be locking up the VM Virtual-Ethernet adapter so another VM can't use it.

I just tried and I can open RSLinx in a XP VM, a Win7 VM and on the main Win10 desktop at the same time.

I am using RSLinx lite, which does not require licensing that I am aware of. Maybe this version is unable to run multiple sessions...

I have the software installed on a VM server. This server allows for multiple sessions to be run. So I have multiple logins going to the server. Only one session of Linx can be run, and I am wondering if it is possibly because it is the Lite version.

I have RSLinx Lite V4.00.01.

That's what is on all my installations, and I just had 3 copies running.

I have the software installed on a VM server. This server allows for multiple sessions to be run. So I have multiple logins going to the server. Only one session of Linx can be run, and I am wondering if it is possibly because it is the Lite version.

I have RSLinx Lite V4.00.01.

That's what is on all my installations, and I just had 3 copies running.

OK, but if I am understanding correctly, it's a little different than what I am trying to do. I am trying to run multiple sessions, with different users, on the same VM.

Are the multiple sessions on one server more than one user on the same virtual desktop?

I was presuming multiple VM's on the same computer.

Maybe try installing RSLinx in each VM session as I have, not pulling it off the server.

I think he means multiple users on one virtual desktop, just like sharing a PC. I don't think you can run multiple instances of RSLinx on the same computer, VM or otherwise. We have run into this issue with a community laptop that our electricians share. If one of the electricians forgets to shut down RSLinx before leaving work, none of the others can use it without getting the login details of the offending electrician, or rebooting the computer.

I think he means multiple users on one virtual desktop, just like sharing a PC. I don't think you can run multiple instances of RSLinx on the same computer, VM or otherwise. We have run into this issue with a community laptop that our electricians share. If one of the electricians forgets to shut down RSLinx before leaving work, none of the others can use it without getting the login details of the offending electrician, or rebooting the computer.

You are correct. The other software can run multiple instances, but RSLinx does not appear to be able to. Not sure if it's impossible, a setting issue, or a limitation of the Lite version.

RSLinx cannot run multiple instances. In general it does not need to, because it can serve multiple clients.

The type of VM and type of access can also give you some heartburn with RSLinx (especially prior to v3) because of the way it interacts with desktops, but that generally manifests itself as "I can't open the RSLinx application console when I'm connected over RDP".

RSLinx cannot run multiple instances. In general it does not need to, because it can serve multiple clients.

The type of VM and type of access can also give you some heartburn with RSLinx (especially prior to v3) because of the way it interacts with desktops, but that generally manifests itself as "I can't open the RSLinx application console when I'm connected over RDP".

Thanks Ken. That is a bummer. Any ideas for workarounds? I am using the VM for multiple techs to log into with their laptops. All other software working good, with the exception of RSLinx.

What VM software are you using ?

I think I see the problem; you're running multiple desktop sessions of Server 2012R2, and your technicians are using Remote Desktop Protocol to access them.

Are you running ThinManager or other visualization software, or is this meant to be an engineering workstation Remote Desktop server ?

What VM software are you using ?

I think I see the problem; you're running multiple desktop sessions of Server 2012R2, and your technicians are using Remote Desktop Protocol to access them.

Are you running ThinManager or other visualization software, or is this meant to be an engineering workstation Remote Desktop server ?

Yes, tech's are using RDP to access the VM (VSphere). It is meant to be an engineering work station. We are not using any other types of software, with the exception of USB redirection.

Last edited: