RsLogix 500 question.

HoldenC

We recently had an issue with one of our systems. I was trying to trouble shoot from RsLogix, however I dont have the original logic file, so all i have is what I uploaded from the processor.

So, I finally was able to get the original logic for our system from the installer so I can know what everything is.

However, when I open up the file and attempt to go online I get a message about how it cant find the processor, and to check my driver (I cant remember the exact message). However, I can open up the file that I uploaded and everything is fine.

I just wound up exporting the ASCII files, and Importing them on the other file. This worked perfect.

Any idea why it wouldnt open on the original file ?

The program is saved with the System Comms information that probably does not match exactly with your set up. Even if you correct that and attempt to go online, RSLogix compares the program checksum and the last edit timestamp of the CPU with the offline file to determine which file is the best match. If there is not an exact match, you will be prompted to find a file to merge with the online data/logic.

The fact that you saved a file with an empty database means RSLogix will see it as an exact match and will try to use that file when going online if it is in the same path where RSLogix is told to look.

Two ways to keep RSLogix from going online with that "empty" file:
1) move the empty file to a location outside the selected search path. Then RSLogix may ask for you to browse for the correct file when you go online if the file you wish to use has a different checksum. You pick the file you want and select the option to merge the online logic and data with that file.

2) export the database and import it into your online file.

Option 1 is preferrable because it will retain things that might not be exported like custom data monitors.

You have to select the processor in RSWho. That file was from a machine that likely had different comm settings compared to what you have.
The way you performed the correct procedure for importing comments. You export from your old file then import into your new file. It doesn't give comments for the changed "stuff", but it will for the unchanged "stuff".
Now, in your case, it seems like those two files did, in fact, match. This leads me to believe that you didn't go to RSWho and put the processor path.