Allen-Bradley Hydraulic Motion

rblunt

I'm looking for some idea of what the standard is for Hydraulic Servo Motion with Allen-Bradley.

What is the most common setup to use? I have 4 Hydraulic Axis that are used for positioning.

I looked a few years ago but we never went forward with Allen-Bradley, we did manage to create a Siemens version, we are pretty much standardized on Beckhoff, and our Beckhoff solution has at least 7 years of experience and knowledge built on it but the customer insists on Allen Bradley due to what they have as far as spares and available support.

I briefly talked to Delta Motion because there didn't seem to be a cut and dried AB solution.
https://deltamotion.com/products/motion/rmc150/#

When I was a AB/Siemens programmer mainly, I never did motion stuff so I'm very weak knowledge wise on AB and motion.

thanks in advance for any advice.

There is this:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um525_-en-p.pdf

I have never used it or seen it used so I can make no claim as to how well it will work or how easy it is to use.

I would personally go with the Delta Motion solution to do the actual hydraulic control with an Ethernet/IP connection for command and monitoring from a supervisory AB PLC. Again, no specific experience with that system but I have looked into it some and there appear to be some available tools with the RMC controllers that can get you out of some tough spots.

Then again, some of this decision will be based on how challenging the motion application is. If it is relatively straightforward (low bandwidth point to point positioning of a well designed mechanical system with a well designed hydraulic system) then the controller capability probably isn't as important.

Keith
Keith

It depends on what you are trying to do and which Rockwell PLC you are using.
The Control Logix supports the 1756-HYD02 the uses start stop or PWM MDT rods.
There is also the 1756-M02AS that supports SSI interfaces. Both these motion modules are programmed using ladder commands like MAM for motion axis move. The PLC micro manages commanding the motion modules.

However, if you are using a CompactLogix or MicroLogix with an Ethernet port, The RMC150E-S2 is your best bet.

Is this for a saw mill?

The advantage of the RMC is that it plays well with many PLCs using Ethernet, and the RMC has its own programming so much of the programming is off loaded from the PLC and put in the RMC. This allows one use the same program with many different PLCs. The diagnostic tools of the RMC are also much better.
Our Canadian distributors are MCS Servo for Ontario to east coast and PQ Systems for the west part of Canada.

It depends on what you are trying to do and which Rockwell PLC you are using.
The Control Logix supports the 1756-HYD02 the uses start stop or PWM MDT rods.
There is also the 1756-M02AS that supports SSI interfaces. Both these motion modules are programmed using ladder commands like MAM for motion axis move. The PLC micro manages commanding the motion modules.

However, if you are using a CompactLogix or MicroLogix with an Ethernet port, The RMC150E-S2 is your best bet.

Is this for a saw mill?

The advantage of the RMC is that it plays well with many PLCs using Ethernet, and the RMC has its own programming so much of the programming is off loaded from the PLC and put in the RMC. This allows one use the same program with many different PLCs. The diagnostic tools of the RMC are also much better.
Our Canadian distributors are MCS Servo for Ontario to east coast and PQ Systems for the west part of Canada.

I think I ran through this before now that you guys are reminding me, the Contrologix is way way overkill for the application, and thats how I got on to the RMC with a Compactlogix. It seems like Micrologix 1400 or 1500 is not capable.

Appreciate the help!

Last edited:
I think I ran through this before now that you guys are reminding me, the Contrologix is way way overkill for the application, and thats how I got on to the RMC with a Compactlogix. It seems like Micrologix 1400 or 1500 is not capable.

Appreciate the help!
I have a MicroLogix 1500. It only has a serial port and is barely adequate for a RMC75S (serial ).
We use CompactLogix in a PLC to RMC training labs. There is no problem there.

There are MicroLogix with Ethernet that can talk to the RMC but the performance isn't that high. Much depends on how fast data must be transferred back and forth between the RMC and the PLC and how much I/O the PLC needs to handle. I prefer the newer software.

I have customers that use a E-net capable Micrologix to talk to a RMC75E. The MicroLogix can also talk to the RMC150E.

The RMC150 is very programmable so it can off load the PLC. Typically there is a HMI, c-mores are very popular, a switch, the PLC and the RMC.

It seems like Micrologix 1400 or 1500 is not capable.

Appreciate the help!

When you use the separate Delta motion controller like the RMC150-S2 that Peter mentioned, all the "smarts" for the motion control are in the Delta RMC controller. If the machine is mostly the 4 axes and not much else, then the PLC only needs to handle the basic power unit stuff like Temp/Level monitoring, Motor Start/Stop etc. All the heavy lifting of the closed loop motion control are done in the RMC.