AB RS232 solid red

pedrosz

Hi!
I want programming a new AB with 1756-L55 controller & 1756-M13 memory board, but the RS232 lit solid red and the OK too. Why ? :(
Thanks!
Pedrosz

Did you upgrade the firmware of the controller, as this is required
before downloading your program? The firmware is available from Rockwell.

hi

these two leds lit together indicate that the controller is in a i be dead scenario. The controller has encountered a major fault and shutdown, clearing it's memory for good luck as well. Thing to check
assuming that you have already flashed the controller to start withare

the revision level of the firmware, one revision of 11, can't remember which will produce this problem if the power is cycled rapidly to the rack.

Have you any message instructions running, if so don't pull the connection out, e.g. dh+ or ethernet cable. This was fixed by revving the firmware also.

Too many messages down the rs232 port....if you can solve this let me know, as this is driving us crazy. It will fault and shut the plant down.

No guessing or searching required

OK, it's brand new, right ? And the OK and RS232 LEDs are both solid red ?

The CPU has no firmware installed. They all ship that way.

RSLogix 5000 has a Firmware Download feature that starts ControlFlash, or you can start ControlFlash from the Start menu in Windows.

Ok ,but for the firmware upgrade I need to be in online with the PLC (the ControlFlash dosn't activ in RSLogix5000/Tools),and I think that isn't possible while the RS232 is red. ???

The firmware upgrade running.
1.The ControlFlash was inactiv because wasn't installed
2.The RS232 was solid red because the processor unit has two krooked pins.(pins ok -> Ok flashing &RS232 off -> ok)

I stand corrected, pedro and kevin. You're right about the flashing red LED being standard no-firmware mode, and the solid red LED indicating a hardware failure.

Good work troubleshooting the crooked pins. Did the controller accept firmware once you straightened them out ?