SLC 5/03 Fault

Steve

Hello Everyone,

Okay, I'm not sure what I've done but I have a SLC 5/03 that is now giving me a solid FLT light. For some reason, I can no longer establish communications with the processor (1746-CP3 & RS-Logix 500). Thought I could simply clear the fault online with RS-Logix but it no longer recognizes the SLC. I tried cycling the power on/off and toggling the run/program key but I still get the FLT. I thought okay, maybe the processor is bad so I pulled a good SLC 5/02 processor from another chassis and stuck it in the 5/03's chassis ... now the 5/02 gives me a solid FLT light (even after I put it in back into it's original chassis. So now both of my SLC's are faulted out ! By the way all other I/O seems to be okay. I have not actually measured line voltage or power supply voltage yet, guess I'd better do that when I get back to work tomorrow.

I did a quick check in the Hardware Guide and it looks like anything from bad power supply to bad CPU. Although both SLC's have been connected to the same line supply for several years now. Can anyone provide any guidance on how to determine the cause of the FLT staying on ? Does it suggest my SLC 5/03 7-slot chassis may be to blame since putting the 5/02 into it has caused it to fault out now ?

Any assistance on this greatly appreciated.

Steve,

A solid red on the processor indicate that there is a fatal error on the processor.
Do you have try to pull out all I/O from the chassis, and test the processor alone on the chassis?This is to make sure that the problem does't come from your I/O's.
If problem still persist, try to replace your chassis.
One thing that very important, don't pull out your processor or I/O's
from your chassis when the power still there, because it can be damage your hardware.
Good luck !

Deer

Check this linkab500 family fault codes goto page 140 it lists all the fault for the processors mentioned. The 5/01 and 5/02 is in the first section and the 5/03,4,5 are in the second .

From what I'm seeing is that a solid red fault doesn't definetly mean a hardware fault. On the 5/03 its possible that you can't communicate with the proc because of the proc going back to default and changing the comms for the channel you're using.. you stated using a cp3 this is the 9 pin cable .

What do you use for the 5/02?

If you have a pic module or the pcmcia(?)card try going on-line with that.

Drewcrew6

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.

Yes, for the 5/02 I have to use the PIC, a real pain in the neck !
But I will try to establish communications with it since I didn't try to go online with that one after the fault.

I'll try the suggestion of removing I/O too after I check all my PS voltages are correct. I don't think I have a spare chassis kicking around.
Thanks again for the help ... I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Steve

Wait a second. If you just plunked a SLC 5/02 in a rack, without first telling it what modules are in that rack, then, yeah, of course it faulted.

A SLC's gotta know what it's dealing with, otherwise they complain, big time. If you hadn't tried communicating with the 5/02 when you installed it, I'm willing to bet that's what went wrong there.

I know it's a pain, but why aren't you using the PIC with the 5/03? Unlike Channel 0, the DH-485 can't be configured to be something other than a programming port.

You might be able to get online with the 5/03 that way and find out why it's complaining.

Allen,

The reason I tried the 5/02 in my faulted 5/03 chassis was right from the Modular Hardware Style troubleshooting section (pg 141).
Defective processor, power supply, or chassis
Step 2. Place processor in another chassis. Power up
,reconfigure and put in run mode

You are absolutely right about the PIC. I tried communicating with the 5/02 via PIC this morning ... no problem. Redownloaded my program and everything peachy keen again.
Then I tried the PIC with the 5/03 no problems there either. I switched from the PIC driver to DF1-1 driver and tried to communicate with the CP3 cable and no go ! After playing around for a while, I managed to get communications going ... I think it had something to do with RS-Logix still trying to use PIC driver even though I blew this away in Linx and confirmed I was running DF1-1.

Anyway, the reason I like the CP3 cable is because it's not as clunky ... that's all. You have to realize that I only go online maybe once or twice a year. I use the SLC's to perform life tests and such. So just cycle a couple of coils on and off, check status of some contacts, etc. I'm not controlling a large automated line or anything like that and the programs are typically very short (1 or 2 pages). That's also why I don't get very proficient at this !

What do you mean the DH-485 can't be configured to be something other than a programming port ? At this point, I don't foresee needing to do anything but occassional programming anyway.

Thanks again for the help. Great forum !!!

Steve

I think what he meant by that was the rj-45 style jack is dh485 and only that . The 9 pin on the 5/03 can be configured for at least 2 different protocols. One of which is the default and the other is setup by the user. That port can only run one or the other but not both.

When you downloaded to the 5/03 did it warn you of a change on the other comms channel?

If it did then with the download you also configured that port for use with the cp3 DF1.

Drewcrew6

drewcrew6,

Yeah, I got some sort of comm error on the 5/03 when I tried to switch from the PIC to the CP3 cable. It also gave me some warning about loss of communication would occur too. I did delete the PIC driver in RS-Linx before I loaded up the DF1 driver though. Anyway, I seemed to muddle my way through it after 3 hours of frustration !

Thanks again for all your feedback.

Steve