Control Panel Building Tips : Back Panels

Tim Ganz

When building control panels I see options for a painted back panel and a conductive back panel. Which is used where? How do I go about making the choice. What factors should be considered?

The project in question will have 1 5 hp allen bradly drive 3 motor starters 2 5hp and 1 100 HP. It will have a load monitor and may have a plc and will have 3 safey relays.

I know this is a basic question but this will be the first panel I build and / choose /purchase.

Thank You.

Are you building the panel for the US? If so then it doesn't matter if you properly bond everything.

If you are building the panel for Europe then use the unpainted backpanel.

My preference is a white backpanel with a copper ground wire on everything. A bonding strip is attached to the backpanel somewhere and everything bonds to that with copper, including the panel bonding stud.

Take the time to read this thread several times: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=18737 It is loaded with hundreds of tips on panel building. Also search the forum for threads that have pictures of panels, seeing how others build panels will help you.

Purchase a copy of NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industiral Machinery. Read it, its not long. It will contain most of the relevant code material and covers important construction techniques and design criteria.

Last edited:
Here's a very informative EMC handbook from Telemequanique (Schneider).

Search for 'cabinet'.

http://www.global-download.schneider-electric.com/852578CD005D7452/all/D2A776676D82D9A2852579990065C6EF/$File/deg999en.pdf

Kalle

Last edited: