RSLinx To Excel Link

Jim Davie

Hi,
I want to populate an Excel spreadsheet using RSLinx. It works fine with Excel on the same machine as RSLinx but not if I want to share the file and access it from another network location. If I try this Excel looks for a local install of RSLinx to run. Is there any way round this.

Thanks In Anticipation

Jim

We save the spreadsheet every minute with a macro as a web page on our common network hard drive, and everyone at the mill can check it with a "favorites" link

I've done a simlar thing using an InTouch I/O server and nett dde how are you trying to get the data fron Linx to excel.

Jezz

A DDE topic is set up in RSLinx pointing to the PLC in question and the Excel cell references this topic and the integer address of the data we're intersted in.

Vetteboy, do you have a copy of the macro you could let me see ?

Thanks

Jim

Have you got the nett dde format right?

i.e

\\<pc name\<application name>|<topic>!<item>

e.g

\\PC123\RSLinx|ABPLC!'B3/0'

Also is the host comp set up to share this program on the network..

Hope this helps

Jezz

Sub Auto_open()
'
' Auto_open Macro
'

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
"P:\Maintenance\electrical\PLC DDE\MillOperations.htm", FileFormat:=xlHtml, _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
Application.OnTime (Time + TimeValue("00:01:00")), "Auto_open"
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

Vetteboy please a little help

Vetteboy

I got a real nice excel sheet with all my data from several processors. I tried your macro and keep getting errors. I cut out your direct to your Htm and inserted mine....the marco runs ok but will croak on the first write. I entered this macro in the excel file that has the DDE links established and running. Can you paint a picture for us PLC / excel savvy and Visual Basic handicaped?

Sub Auto_open()
'
' Auto_open Macro
'

>>Application.DisplayAlerts = False
>>ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
>>"P:\Maintenance\electrical\PLC DDE\MillOperations.htm", >>FileFormat:=xlHtml, _
>>ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
>>Application.OnTime (Time + TimeValue("00:01:00")), "Auto_open"
>>Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

Thanks Vetteboy

Steve

Basically I just recorded the macro by having it copy my clicks and keystrokes. I named it Auto_open so it would run as soon as the spreadsheet is opened. I added the line for turning the display alerts off and on, and the line about saving it every minute. I actually have about a dozen macros all doing various manipulations to our data and I threw this one together to show how the saving as a web page every minute works. I am using Excel 2000, could your version be different enough to not work properly?