High Speed PLC Input Converter

brflick

Hello,
Just curious, Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a pulse converter?? Let me clear that up a little, I need to count product going down a conveyor at a rate of 1250 a minute (20 PPS).
I am working with a SLC 5/04 and my input(From A Prox)is going to an AC Input card, as it sits right now my input ON/Off time is larger than my scantime (34 Msec). I really only need a pulse every 10 or 20 items, do they make a stand alone unit that can count at high speed then give you a pulse out every so many counts (10 or 20 In = 1 Out). AC is all I have to work with in this location so switching to a high speed DC input is not an option and I am trying not to purchase a micrologix PLC just to convert the pulses to send to the main 5/04 PLC. First time messing with a high speed application. Thanks

Brijm,
The rack is full but I have spare AC inputs available to the location I am working from. Trying not to expand the rack. Plus, I am probably 150' feet of conduit away from the Main PLC and it is full of AC wires. Wouldn't be able to pull DC to the location if I had it. Would have to string new conduit and expand the rack just for this project and it doesn,t warant that much work.
I know I could always buy a Micrologix PLC and use the high speed input off that so I could count 10 or 20 input pulses and give myself a single output pulse to the main PLC. Just wondering if there was a cheaper means available.
Thanks

Thanks ATU,
I will look up the Red Lion link tomorrow at work and see if it can help me. I have a feeling I will end up with a Micrologix PLC before this is all over though.

Are you sure the Inputcard is missing your puls , it's an AC inputcard for 60hz , it's 16,66ms for on cycle , and you want to detect on 50ms , my feeling is that it should work , what about the IOscanning time , normally it's faster that the program cycletime .
What are the specs for the inputcard ?

What you require is a pulse divider, however I don't know of one that works on AC, is there any chance that one of the cards could be changed for a 24v dc one ?.
Burkert do a pulse divider for their flow sensors (24v)