How to reconnect to the FactoryTalk Directory...

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit

History : have been working on a Local SE project for several weeks using FactoryTalk View Studio 8.10.00, and RSLogix5000 V18 for the ControlLogix.

A couple of days ago, AVG informed me that it needed to restart my PC, which I postponed until this morning.

After the restart, FTView SE will not open ANY applications, they all give the error message "Fail to load HMI Server Service", and RSLogix will not start up correctly either, giving the (long) error message shown in the picture. That message gives so much more information than any other....

It appears as though my computer has become disconnected from the FactoryTalk Global Directory Server.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and know how to fix, please.

2019-07-08_154231.jpg

you might be able to look at the system restore points on the pc if that option is enabled and revert back to the system before avg restarted.

I would suspect that avg has disabled / removed some of the files required for your software.

I have had to do this on several pc's in regards to other things, not AB software, so I don't know what the outcome will be.

hope this helps,
james

we had a similar problem with our factory talk. We had to delete a file with a .RNL extension in

C:\ProgramData\Rockwell Automation\FactoryTalk Activation

daba
This happened to me a few months back on Windows 7, and A-B tech support did a repair in remove/install programs on factory talk services platform. Also, I loaded all the A-B stuff on windows 10 a while back and tech support removed an update from windows to get some stuff to work. Hope this helps.

Try repairing FactoryTalk Service Platform from the add/remove programs section of control panel. I've had a similar thing happen before after some updates, and that fixed it.

Try repairing FactoryTalk Service Platform from the add/remove programs section of control panel. I've had a similar thing happen before after some updates, and that fixed it.

Yes, maybe set the location of the directory server again with "Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location" and also run the "FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard".

Had similar issues when renaming the computer name. But got it working again.
Good luck

I got mine working again, I had to run a "Reset Directory" batch file that I got of one of the KB articles. I'll see if I can find it again and post the KB number when I get chance.

This is a ResDir.zip file you extract and run the .bat file, it resets the Local and Global directories back to factory default.

After that I simply restored an archive file with the correct users and groups in, remembering to check the box to bring them in.

All seems well now ....

The ResDir also gives a work around when you don't have/lost the Factory Talk login name and password, which l had to do recently, as daba says, sets it all back to default, so you can do a new user name/password