Reaching a 1769-L30ER over USB

gazroobari

Hi,

I'm trying to reset an unresponsive 1769-L30ER, made more difficult by the fact that I'm separated from it by 100 miles. I have VPN but that's only partly useful.

The LEDs are flashing such that the 1769 may have either a recoverable or unrecoverable error (not very helpful error definition !).

A power cycle has been tried several times - to no avail.

An attempt has been made to find the PLC via BOOTP-DHCP, but discovery doesn't find it.

So, my colleague has connected a client laptop with all Rockwell s/w to the PLC with a USB cable. Windows Device Manager on the laptop shows the attached [WindowsDeviceManager] which looks like the connection isn't quite properly set up, and yet the model of PLC is identifiable ?

Factory Talk Linx Browser shows a network connection node for "USB" but, whilst the three little LEDs on that USB icon blink, no attached device is found.

In RS Linx Classic, I do RS Who, but I don't get the "USB" node appearing in the tree of drivers which the 1769 installation manual promises I will.

Any thoughts if following up on this USB line of attack will prove useful in resetting the PLC, or does it look like a fatal problem ? What should Windows Device Manager be showing, and is there a driver upgrade available ?

Thanks all.

WindowsDeviceManager.PNG

You probably need to set up the driver in Linx. If you do not see the usb driver then someone probably deleted it at some point because I believe it is created by default.

Once you have the usb driver in linx you should be able to browse it and see the plc to connect.

Right click on the processor and see if it shows and EDS file to download. It's a bit of a shot in the dark but worth a try.

Do you have tech connect?

ID: QA14426 | Access Levels: TechConnect
RSLinx Classic USB or VBP Driver: Software Cannot See Controller or Module

He cannot right-click on the controller to check for EDS files because he is not seeing the controller. The picture we see is from the Windows Device Manager, not RSLinx.

Also, if you power down a faulted controller and then power it back up it just returns to where it was when it powered down. Cycling power won't clear a fault unless logic has been written to do this.

Try cycling the mode switch to PROGRAM-RUN-PROGRAM to clear the fault. This does not clear the fault code, but does clear the fault.

I believe you might be using an older version of RSLinx that does not have signed Windows CIP/USB drivers. Upgrade to he newest RSLinx and hopefully this will allow you to connect via USB. Once this is done, plugging in to the USB port should automatically create your RSLinx USB driver. It is the only driver that gets added automatically in RSLinx.

OG

I didn't catch that the image posted is from the Device Manager. That changes things. I've seen this before but with a Micro850 and PV800 rather than a CompactLogix. However the problem that I had/have isn't specific to the device, it's a Windows problem. Something corrupted in the drivers association and it no longer gets pointed at RSLinx which is why you see it in "other devices". Unfortunately I've not been able to come up with a fix so I have two Micro850's and one PV800 that I can't connect to RSLinx via USB. I'd call Rockwell (something I have not done) and see if they have a solution.

FireJo if you can read that tech connect I posted I bet your solution is in there. If not expand on your issue and I’ll translate which solution I think it is in my own writing.

I have encountered a similar problem before, under the other devices in the device manager, the unknown device is displayed, because the USB driver is not automatically installed, you can find him in the default installation directory of C drive Rockwell, manually install the driver, and then it ’s just