FTView 11.0 - Cannot Create Runtime Error

lstavropoulos

Lifetime Supporting Member
I ran into an issue with an application that I think would be useful to share for anyone that experiences this problem.

The problematic application I worked on was developed in FTView 8.0 and the MER file was set to allow to "Always allow conversion." As such, I restored the MER file and opened it with FTView 11.0. After modifying the project, I attempted to create an 8.0 runtime for the HMI. As the runtime creation started, a message popped up telling me that the runtime file could not be created.

No diagnostic messages were generated to guide me, so I really had nothing to go by. So, after attempting other fixes (that didn't solve the issue), I decided to check the settings of every aspect of the project. What I found was that the default diagnostic and alarm displays were being referenced in their respective configuration screens (remember the default [DIAGNOSTICS] and [ALARMS] screens?). Well, in this project, those screens didn't exist. As I usually do, I simply deleted the reference to those non-existent screens and the runtime started to compile. It did pop up a new message that the startup screen wasn't set, so I cancelled the runtime creation and configured that.

When all that was said and done, the runtime compiled with no issue.

Prior to my discovery, I did make sure to "verify" the RSLinx Enterprise (now FactoryTalk Linx) communications settings, but in this case, that wasn't the issue (or at least wasn't the only issue). I also found that the Default user account had only "A" checked, so I checked all levels and saved the settings, but that didn't seem to help either.

Strangely, I (think) I remember in FTView 8.0, compiling a runtime file wouldn't be halted by the lack of those default screens, even if they were referenced in the configuration screens.

For reference, I haven't applied the roll-up patches yet, and there were no other user accounts/macros/parameter files/etc. in this project. Most of the heavy lifting was done in the PLC, so the application itself was fairly basic.

Since the last thread regarding such an error seems to be from a few years ago, I figured any new problems you may run into may benefit from this discovery.