Sorting a Crimson 3 integer array in ascending order

bbaker123

Hello all,

I've used these forums quite a bit in the past year while trying to learn PLCs and HMIs, and I've run across my first problem that I've not been able to find the answer to. I am trying to sort an integer array in ascending order, and I think I have the code correct, but it keeps displaying in descending order. Could you look at my code and see if I have overlooked something?

//Sorts Odd_Polar_Number[] array in ascending order.
for(i = 0 ; i < max_odd ; i++)
{
for(j = 1; j < max_odd - 1 ; j++)
{
if(Odd_Polar_Number > Odd_Polar_Number[j]) //If first array element is greater than second array element.
{
//Swaps array position.
swap = Odd_Polar_Number;
Odd_Polar_Number = Odd_Polar_Number[j];
Odd_Polar_Number[j] = swap;
}
}
}

Thanks!

Looks like you're trying to implement a bubble sort here, correct?

You need to compare adjacent pairs of numbers, but note that as your inner loop executes, the indices i and j will no longer refer to adjacent numbers in the array. You should be testing if Number[j] > Number[j+1]. Similarly, you need to swap the numbers at j and j+1. You'll also miss the first element if the inner loop doesn't start at j=0.

Making those changes gets something like this:

Code:
for(i = 0; i < max_odd; i++)
{
  for(j = 0; j < max_odd - 1 ; j++)
  {
    if(Odd_Polar_Number[j] > Odd_Polar_Number[j+1])
    {
       int swap = Odd_Polar_Number[j];
       Odd_Polar_Number[j] = Odd_Polar_Number[j+1];
       Odd_Polar_Number[j+1] = swap;
    }
  }
}