Flexible Lean Manufcturing Cell Wiring Solutions for Clean Room

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are a lean manufacturing company. We set up assembly cells in our clean rooms where we will configure a line of portable equipment to assemble a product. That line may be reconfigured a few months later to make something else. The flexible lines usually only have small machine tools, many of them are 120V. Often the line is reconfigured by the operators themselves. So we find ourselves in the situation where we have temporary wiring in what would be called a permanent use, with cords running down the line, sometimes on the floor between back to back lines to sources at the wall of the clean room, or stations plugged into power strips that are plugged into extension cords to the clean room wall.

Since its a clean room we can't undertake heavy construction just to reconfigure a cell.

I've been told there are wiring skids for flexible manufacturing cells to solve the code compliance problem, but I can't seem to locate any other information about them. I'd love to find something like movable racks, maybe on wheels, with outlets and/or disconnects and possibly even its own breakers that connect to a single point.

What solutions do you use for similar situations if any?

We are a lean manufacturing company. We set up assembly cells in our clean rooms where we will configure a line of portable equipment to assemble a product. That line may be reconfigured a few months later to make something else. The flexible lines usually only have small machine tools, many of them are 120V. Often the line is reconfigured by the operators themselves. So we find ourselves in the situation where we have temporary wiring in what would be called a permanent use, with cords running down the line, sometimes on the floor between back to back lines to sources at the wall of the clean room, or stations plugged into power strips that are plugged into extension cords to the clean room wall.

Since its a clean room we can't undertake heavy construction just to reconfigure a cell.

I've been told there are wiring skids for flexible manufacturing cells to solve the code compliance problem, but I can't seem to locate any other information about them. I'd love to find something like movable racks, maybe on wheels, with outlets and/or disconnects and possibly even its own breakers that connect to a single point.

What solutions do you use for similar situations if any?
It's hard to give you complete specs based on the description, but I would definitely recommend looking into "Harting Plugs". They have panel mounted plugs which meet clean/washdown specs and allow you to completely disconnect equipment. The plugs can run ethernet, I/O, power, etc through them. I believe that this would be the biggest challenge for what you're describing. There are also specific panels which you'll have to use; I'm not extremely familiar with those myself, but a local distributor should be able to help.