L33ER Compact Logix cant go online

calinorth

So I was able to log in to one of these processors in our plant to back up the program and I am trying to do the same for the same processor in a different system but it gives me this error.

Capture63.PNG Capture3.PNG

Seems like the "Auto-upload eds file" option is turned off. I also can't see this in your RSLinx toolbar options.
What version of RSLinx is this? Also, can you check RSLinx's settings to see if the "Auto Upload EDS is on?
If not, try using the EDS Installation tool to install device's EDS, I forget if we can upload using that too.

Thanks!
PreLC

The unidentified device message and the yellow question mark, as well as the absence of an expansion [+] on the USB driver, are consistent with not having the EDS file for that device registered on your computer.

Are you able to troubleshoot whether or not this is a network driver problem by trying to connect over Ethernet instead of USB ?

I agree that you might try uploading the EDS file, which is usually a right-click option.

So if I upload eds file from device. Does this mean it will upload from the plc so that my laptop can now recognize the plc? Also will this affect the current program in the plc?

right click eds.PNG rs linx version.PNG

It does upload from the PLC, and only works for Rockwell devices afaik. Does not have any effects on the program, and you can do it while production is running.

I uploaded the eds file but now I cant upload the program to my laptop because it has rev 30. Is there any way to go from rev 24 to 30 without rehosting my activation.

OK, it makes sense that if you only had v24 on your laptop, that your computer didn't have the EDS files or support for v30 controllers.

EDS files just help RSLinx identify devices and learn their functions (like network bridges and CPUs). It doesn't load firmware into a controller (ControlFlash) or install Studio 5000 support for the controller.

You need to install Studio 5000 v30. It should work with the same activation you have now.

Last edited:
I would suggest downloading V32 with the MultiVersion image, it will install all relevant V20-32 with just a 8 gig download.