5069 Module Firmware Flash Failure

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been without luck flashing a 5069-HSC2xOB4/A module to anything higher than the onboard v1.050 firmware.

Has anyone else had luck with this module, or others in general?

The setup:
  • Controller is a L320ERM with firmware 32.14
  • Module is working, has firmware 1.050, and occupies slot 1
  • No other modules
  • MOD power good
  • SA power good

Approaches and tools tried:
  • Direct Ethernet and USB connections
  • Controller in remote run or program mode
  • Module inhibited in I/O tree
  • Module not inhibited in I/O tree
  • Module removed from I/O tree
  • Module inhibited in I/O tree and manually reset
  • 2.011 / 3.012 with latest ControlFlash
  • 2.011 / 3.012 with latest ControlFlash Plus
  • RSLinx Classic Gateway
  • FactoryTalk Linx
  • 2 hours of phone support with Rockwell (this included all of the above including a factory reset of the controller)

Furthest degree of success:
  • ControlFlash claims the module isn't in the correct mode to accept a firmware update, fails, then provides a pop-up "Manually Reset Module"
  • ControlFlash Plus immediately advances from 'Flashing' to 'Polling for Power-Up', then times out with error "Failed to begin update to the target device.The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update.Manually Reset module"

Last edited:
You have provided all options one could think of. Is it possible that there is an issue in the wiring of 5069-HSC2xOB4/A that causes it to detect a fault that does not allow firmware update? Is the 5069-HSC2xOB4/A wired to the physical IO?

So, the only thing I can think that you have not tried is to plug some real IO in case the lack of IO can generate an error condition that prevents flashing new firmware.

In the manual: 5069-um006_-en-p.pdf for the compactlogix, on page: 29, it states that the firmware update request is rejected as long as the "Connection running" state is true.
On page 108 it also mentions that the LED on the controller must be flashing green to indicate that the module is powered and with no connection.

I would suggest erasing the program on the PLC(By doing a download and cancelling mid-way, or maybe pull the battery out?), then trying another flash?
Thanks!
-PreLC

This only works if the connection is inhibited from the tree as an open connection from the processor along the backplane (even if in program mode) causes the flash to fail