Pv600 2711-b6c5l1

Tugo

hi all, i have 1 new panelview 600 need to download my backup program with panel builder 32, can someone please teach me how to establish the connection from desktop PC to panelview?

IMG_20181123_161016.jpg IMG_20181123_161038.jpg IMG_20181123_161044.jpg

Hi there,

2711-B6C5L1 - This PanelView Standard terminal has a physical RS-232 port for communications with a PLC and for application transfer to and from a workstation computer.

This port is fixed to communicate using the DH-485 communications protocol. So the port is using RS-232 wiring standards and communicating using the DH-485 protocol. Therefore, the port is classified as an "RS-232 (DH-485)" communications port.

To connect the PanelView terminal to your computer you will require an interface adapter to convert from DH-485 protocol "to something the computer can understand". An Allen Bradley "1747-UIC" USB to DH-485 interface converter is the device typically used to do this - have you got one?

The typical cable to use from the PanelView RS-232 port to the interface converter is a 2711-NC13. However, this is simply a straight-thru serial cable (9-pin<>9-pin) so any straight-thru serial cable should work once pins 2-2, 3-3 & 5-5 are connected - have you got one?

The 1747-UIC USB to DH-485 interface converter is then connected to a spare USB port on your workstation computer. It will then be automatically assigned a spare COM port number (Example: COM8). Using Windows Control Panel you need to find which COM port number has been assigned so as to enter it into the communications driver configuration in RSLinx Classic.

In RSLinx Classic communications software, which I assume you have as you seem to have PanelBuilder32?, you create a new communications driver. Which driver you will use to communicate with the 1747-UIC will depend on the version of RSLinx Classic you have installed - which version are you using?

Example:

v2.59 or older = Use "RS-232 DF1 devices" driver
v3.51 or newer = Use "DH485 UIC devices" driver

Besides the COM port number there may be other driver settings required but I'm brushing over things quickly until you give more feedback on what you have...

Once configured correctly you should be able to browse the driver and the PanelView terminal should appear.

You can then go to the backup application in PanelBuilder32 and attempt to perform a Download transfer.

That is the typical method used to transfer applications with DH-485 terminals. There are other methods to get the terminal onto a DH-485 network without a 1747-UIC but I'll not go there unless necessary.

You can also use older Flash ATA memory cards in the big PCMCIA memory slot on the back (or a CF card with adapter in same slot) to transfer applications, if you have such cards available - many do not.

Let us know what you do or do not have and what versions of software you are using?

Recap:

Have you -
1747-UIC interface ???
2711-NC13 or equivalent cable ???

Which version -
RSLinx Classic v???
PanelBuilder32 v???

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hi George,

1747-UIC interface - No
2711-NC13 or equivalent cable - Yes

Which version -
RSLinx Classic v2.52
PanelBuilder32 v3.82

Hi,

Without a 1747-UIC interface, you cannot establish a DH-485 network connection between your workstation computer and the DH-485 only PanelView terminal.

The only other way I'm thinking would be possible is if the original PanelView had a local 1747-AIC link coupler beside it? This device acts as a bridge for the PanelView to a DH-485 PLC or wider DH-485 network. This device would also allow you to connect your computer and access the PanelView, if you have the right cabling.

Is there, or have you, a 1747-AIC link coupler?

But getting yourself a 1747-UIC would be the best option here, going forward.

Regards,
George