Size up Mitsubishi PLC, need advise from expert.

ckchew666

Hi,

I'm new to Mitsubishi PLC, appreciate it if someone has experience in Mitsubishi PLC can give some advise on the following items if it comply the spec required.

DI=40 (24VDC), DO=10 (RELAY), AI=4 (4-20mA), AO=4 (4-20mA)
Communication = RS232 for programming via computer, RS232/RS485 for touch screen panel and ModBus slave for DCS interface

FX2N-32MR-ES/UL = BASE C/W DI=16, DO = 16 (RELAY)
FX0N-16EX = DIGITANL INPUT 16 PTS
FX0N-8EX = DIGITAL INPUT 8 PTS
FX2N-4AD = ANALOG INPUT 4 CHANNEL
FX2N-4DA = ANALOG OUTPUT 4 CHANNEL
FX0N-232ADP = RS232 MODULE FOR T/SCREEN
FX2N-485BD = RS485 FOR MODBUS COMM
GWY-00-B = MODBUS GATEWAY (PLC - DCS)

SC-09 (43393)
GX IEC DEVELOPER FXV0600-ILOC-E

All item 1 unit each.

1) I'm not sure if the Modbus gateway can be use?Normally what is the gateway that you guys use? Does Mitsubishi itself has Modbus module?
http://www.renuelectronics.com/gatewayoverview.htm

2) I can's save cost by using FX0N base because it only supports 2 expansion modules, correct me if I'm wrong.

Pls advise. Thanks.

Looks ok to me, however if you use the Beijers E terminals (from Mitsubishi) you do not need the 232 card as it will talk to the programming port & you can use the passthrough mode on the HMIfrom GX, you can use the same lead as for programming the HMI.
The GX iec is great but you must maintain the copy on disk as you will not be able to upload it back into GXIEC all you will get is a statement list & loose all your structure. The other alternative is GXDeveloper which uses straitfoward ladder.

The FX0N-232ADP module will require FX2N-CNV-BD adapter board which will occupy the only extension slot on the CPU.
Hence you will have nowhere to connect your FX2N-485BD.
You may have only one extra port over existing RS422, whatever type.

I am not sure the FX0N-16EX exists, probably it must read FX2N-16EX.

I am not familiar with Modbus. Sorry.

parky: Thx, I'll change the software to GX Developer (152863).

Sergei: So, this means when I use FX0N-232ADP, I must use the FX2N-CNV-BD together. But, how can I connect the FX PLC into the Modbus network (DCS comm)?

1) I'm not sure if we can use the FX0N-485ADP multi drop connect to the touch screen and another drop(Same rs485 network) to the Modbus gateway?

2) Worst case we have to connect the touch screen to the existing port and use the FX0N-485ADP for modbus purpose?

3) Yes FX0N-16EX does exist. I'm referring to the technical catalogue (2004).

4) What is the diff between modular extension unit (FX0N-16EX) & Extension adapter (FX2N-16EX)?

Thanks.

1.As I mentioned, I am not familiar with the Modbus.
2.Anyways your PLC may have only 2 communication ports, one of them being the existing RS422 and additional one of your choise RS232/RS422/RS485.
If Modbus allows PLC programming over the network, then I do not see any problem- use the configuration you described in p.2.
This is the best, not the worst case.
4. All FX0N and FX2N extension modules are absolutely interchangeable.
They may be reffered as extension blocks, but not adapters.
Extension units is something different- these are self-powered large size extensions which can also supply enough power for several extension modules. They are necessary in rare ocasions when the CPU cannot power all the necessary extensions.

As far as I know there is the 232BD (or 485) that fits onto the main processor, there are other comms modules that will sit at extension modules never tried one of these & not sure if you can use a BD module + a comms (what they call extention blocks) as well but I see no reason why not, as I said earlier if you use the E-HMI then the normal port (422) on the processor becomes the port for the HMI then the other 2 can be used for other comms, the HMI then becomes a passthrough module to program the plc with. It has 2 ports, 422 & 232 as standard, some HMI's can add extra ones like Ethernet but I think if you use the ethernet you may not be able to use passthrough mode on 232.
I have an FX2N with 232BD connected to a Servo, the prog port connects to the E series HMI & the HMI also uses TCPIP to a SLC500 PLC
I relay data to & from the FX & SLC via the HMI.
The E-series has the capability to have more than one protocol running at the same time on two ports with a function to pass data between them.

As for using a HMI I would suggest to have a look an the E410 Terminal fra Beijer, there is 3 port, a RS232 a RS422 and also an Ethernet. The Ethernet port i think could go for a modbus communication, but I am not sure. An the price is great for what you get.

Best regards

Dariusch