vfd recommendations

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Requirements:
1. Must be able to output DC at rest to keep condensation off the windings. Also, the dcb is used to prevent movement during high pressure pass.
2. 1/4 hp (I know that drives can be de-rated, but we are currently de-rating some of the 1/4 hp drives to 1/25 hp)
3. 230V 3 phase output
4. 230V 3 phase in
5. Must be able to receive HZ/rpm commands via modbus.
6. SVC or Constant torque for machine movement via a (10/20 to 1 gearbox?).

note: we are currently using the Toshiba drive. They have been working beautifully (sans some software complaints). Only looking for a back up drive as Toshiba can't make them fast enough to keep up w/ our production.

Toshiba=Schneider Electric
Look at Mitsubishi E800, it has all you need plus PLC inside, and the price is more economical now.

Toshiba=Schneider Electric
Look at Mitsubishi E800, it has all you need plus PLC inside, and the price is more economical now.
Toshiba resmbles the heck out of the Schneider ATV212s. the 212s are aweosome, but they don't come in the lower hp.
The Schneider ATV31 and ATV312 was awesome as well. The ATV320, well let's just say they dropped the ball on that one.
I'll have to check out the Misu.

Schneider Toshiba Inverter Corporation:
https://www.inverter.co.jp/about/index_e.asp
I had very good experience with Schneider ATV71, everything was very good except remote panel.
Regarding Mitsubishi A800 is for me the best VFD ever, but the price is somehow high. E800 is excellent.
Yaskawa was also good one, but it ****ed me that all VFDs were defined under Lite Duty, but at the end I learned to order two steps bigger.
Danfoss and Lenze are also good choices.

Schneider Toshiba Inverter Corporation:
https://www.inverter.co.jp/about/index_e.asp
I had very good experience with Schneider ATV71, everything was very good except remote panel.
Regarding Mitsubishi A800 is for me the best VFD ever, but the price is somehow high. E800 is excellent.
Yaskawa was also good one, but it ****ed me that all VFDs were defined under Lite Duty, but at the end I learned to order two steps bigger.
Danfoss and Lenze are also good choices.

I have had great luck w/ the Schneider ATV71s. But, as I recall, they knock the price way up, and I'm not sure they even go as low as 1/4 hp.
The Yaskawas came highly recommended. I could not get them to do the dc breaking at zero speed.

I just did a few Weg drives that I'm pretty happy with. Their documentation is even pretty decent.

My only ***** is that their safe off input will restart the drive by itself when the input is made. Stupidest design EVER. I'm going to call them and complain when I get time.

You might want to talk to Hitachi about their WJ200 series, I remember talking to one of their reps at a trade show a few years back.

He mentioned at that time they could do firmware mods on orders of 20+ drives, and that series already has Modbus.

You can do all of that with a PowerFlex 523 or 525. To get the "DC injection motor winding heater" function though, you have to program one of the Digital Inputs as "Force DC" to where the DC Injection is held active for as long as that input is high, ignoring the DC Injection Time or the Auto Shut Off functionality when used for typical braking. There is a 1/4HP 230V version and the minimum rating, although STATED as 1/2th the drive rating, is actually OK down to 1/10th, meaning 1/20th HP is fine.

The toshiba vfd VFAS3-2004P may be a game changer.
Instead of talking modbus serial, they appear to have built in modbus/tcp.
wow!
If the price is right, I'm def. excited about this.