Incremental Encoder Counts to Position

Cody Anderson

Hello,

I am trying to take the counts I am getting on my plc from an incremental encoder and use them to keep track of position. I have never done this before and I am having trouble finding examples of what all I need to do. Can anyone help? Thank you!

That's doable it is done often
The first thing to do is set a known home position and and on powerup drive it home
then it's a simple matter to keep track of the counts up-down from thee.
i would recommend using a high speed counter to make sure you get all the counts

I have done it many times over the years
Way back when the PLC2's were new PLc5's
Micro Logix, Compact Logix
Please keep in mind their are a lot of things to consider when doing it.
One thin I have learned steel wheels on steel rails can give yo a lot of problems
a better way is to consider using a laser measuring system
i find they eliminate a lot of the problems with encoders and counters
projects include traveling scales for a truck loading system
hook position on a crane