Main disconnector position

dbozic

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi to all,

Maybe someone knows or can direct me, is the location of main disconnector switch for the electrical cabinet forbidden to put inside the safety zone?
In example, we have a machine which has main electrical cabinet inside the safety zone but as soon as you open the door safety relays kill the supply to PLC outputs.. So in theory nothing could happen but I am interested is somewhere in the standard (EU/US) mentioned something about positioning the main disconnector switch inside the safety zone?
I would like to mount it inside the safety zone directly on the main cabinet (small cabinet mounted on the machine).
Also is the minimum/maximum height somewhere defined as well for main disconnector?

Thanks!

EN 60204-1 section 5.3 describes the main disconnect on a machine control panel.

Furthermore 5.3.4 describes the "handle" of the disconnect.
It should be placed with easy access and in between a minimum height og 0.6 meters and 1.9 meters. Though a maximum height of 1.7 meters is recommended.

This is a europe norm... But most EU and US norms are derived from the same IEC standards...

Easy access to the main disconnect inside a fenced area could be debatable... Alot of LOTO procedures requeres you to padlock the main disconnect (Or a similar switch) before you enter the safety area.