Micrologix 1100 connection help

I have found that if you have an ethernet cable connected to the ML1100 and then you go to the "setup" screen it will show you the IP address, if you do not have the cable connected and you go to the "setup" screen it will not show the IP address.

I don't think this anomaly applies to the 1763-L16DWA model.

I guess did not hold down escape long enough. Man i feel like an idiot.

Don't. Those buttons are clunky. I often find I have to press them twice to navigate or hold them a bit longer the second time. Now you know!

In the mean time can anyone tell me what fault code 0187h is?

If I'm reading you right, you can now navigate the LCD menus and are displaying 0187h error code on the LCD screen, but have still not established comms to the controller?

The error does indeed relate to an I/O configuration mismatch, but you first need to get connected before you can sort that out.
With Ethernet plugged out of controller, cycle power and check your controllers current IP address and Subnet mask using Robo77 navigation guide. I'm not infront of a MicroLogix at the moment, but I'm sure there is ENET Status as well as ENET Cfg. This is quicker to view current ENET config as you don't have to navigate through all the flashing editable screens. Assuming your programming laptop/PC is still set as outlined in the BOOTP user manual, using 192.168.1.20 and Subnet 255.255.255.0, use ENET Cfg on LCD to edit the controller settings to 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0 and cycle again. Check ENET Status again to verify the config held. Double check each octet of IP and Subnet are correct. Many a time I and others have put a 198. instead of 192. or similar.
With Ethernet plugged in between PC/PLC use CTRL+R, type cmd and OK. At the command prompt type:

ping 192.168.1.10

and see if the controller is on the network. If so then type exit. Proceed to RSLinx to check its visible there. Assuming again you have configured your Ethernet driver correctly, adding the controller to the drivers IP list. If it's visible in RSLinx go to RSLogix500 and browse to it and attempt an upload to pull in the application from the controller. Then you can start looking a the I/O configuration error.

My guess is this controller had expansion I/0 of at least 1 extra module in its last used configuration. You have powered it up without the expansion module(s) and its faulted. The communication problem is a seperate issue entirely to the flashing fault light. That's just my hunch going on info before me.

Let us know where your at?

G.

Thanks for links robo77, but I had all ready read them and they did't seem to solve my problem, the fault didn't clear.

I had about half an hour to play with the controller before I had to go to work. Following Robo77's amd geo sparks's steps I tried to view and edit my "enet config." It seems to show my mac address followed by a number that seems to short to be an IP. I can't seem to edit it.

MAC/IP=XXXXMACXADDX/10.0.0.3

I'm going to pick this up when I get home. Thanks again for the help.

Your going home, I'm going to work! I might be more help from there where I have hardware, notes, manuals etc.

I used to follow a procedure for BOOTP config, but after some weird happenings, I stopped using it. I usually always configure the Ethernet port manually via LCD. I do use BOOTP, but not for PLCs. Even though I make a couple of references to BOOTP here, manual config is what the following explains. However you should be able to use BOOTP when finished.

Leave the Ethernet plug out of the controller.
In the ENET config menu you should see:

ENET Cfg:
Status
IP Address
Port Setting
Protocol Setup

Select Status & you should see what you've described:

ENET Mode:static (OR bootp OR dhcp)
MAC=0M0A0C0A0D0D
10.0.0.3 ↕

There's more, press the up key to view the:

Subnet Mask
Gateway address
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

If you want to edit these parameters press ESC key and go to IP Address, press OK key, you then see:

ENET setup:
Master Password:
----------↕

This should be blank, just press OK key again. Now you see:

ENET Mode:static or bootp or dhcp flashing
Press up/down keys to toggle between the three.
Set static if not already. Press OK key.
(I'm still assuming we're using the BOOTP user manual IP settings to get you connected).
Then set IP Address 192.168.1.10 from right to left using the four way keypad. Press OK. Then the Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0. Press OK. You shouldn't need to go any further to get connected, but just check the Gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS addresses are all zeros so there is no interference from them.
Cycle the power to controller. Go back in and check in ENET status that the config has held.

Connect the Ethernet cable, PC to PLC, making sure its a cross-over pin-out for point-to-point, not straight tru for via a switch, unless thats your network configuration.
On PC (that's set 192.168.1.20 255.255.255.0) try ping controller again. Follow on as before...check RSLinx...then 500...try go online...upload....etc.

If you establish comms, please try to upload from the PLC so we can look at the Major Error in the application. If you wipe it with a download you won't learn from this. You've spent money on it, as a home hobby, or whatever, so you might as well learn the ins & outs as you go. Knowing the hardware is every bit as important as knowing the software. Its a simple fix, if you want to go through it. But hey if your in a hurry, ignore me!

I have a 1400 test rig in workshop beside me with one 32pt input expansion module connected. I powered down and plugged the connector for the module off the 1400. Powered back up and got flashing FAULT led with Major Error 0187h in the Fault Code menu on LCD. Which is correct as slot 1 (01) is the culprit. With this fault present I can still go online and clear the Major Error.

Tip of the day:
If you can't get online to an LCD model 1100/1400 controller with an unknown communications configuration. Under Advanced Set, go to DCOMM Cfg and set it Enable. This sets the Channel 0 8pin mini-din port to default DF1 settings. On a 1400 you can also hold down the OK key for 5secs to toggle the same. This method is only mentioned in the 1400 manual, not the 1100 manual. I don't have an 1100 to hand, so someone would have to verify this one. Probably a later feature only in the 1400s.
You can then use serial cable 1761-CBL-PM02,5 or 10 (lenght in meters) to make a point-to-point connection between your laptop/PC's serial port and CH0 using DF1 Full-Duplex, which is the default setting you've just invoked above.

I know you don't have a serial cable Malador, this is a general tip.

I used to follow a procedure for BOOTP config, but after some weird happenings, I stopped using it. I usually always configure the Ethernet port manually via LCD. I do use BOOTP, but not for PLCs. Even though I make a couple of references to BOOTP here, manual config is what the following explains. However you should be able to use BOOTP when finished.

Leave the Ethernet plug out of the controller.
In the ENET config menu you should see:

ENET Cfg:
Status
IP Address
Port Setting
Protocol Setup

Select Status & you should see what you've described:

ENET Mode:static (OR bootp OR dhcp)
MAC=0M0A0C0A0D0D
10.0.0.3 ↕

There's more, press the up key to view the:

Subnet Mask
Gateway address
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

If you want to edit these parameters press ESC key and go to IP Address, press OK key, you then see:

ENET setup:
Master Password:
----------↕

WOW Geospark, thanks for taking so much time to help. I'm still having troubles though. Once inside the "ENET CFG" menu I can't scroll up or down. I've tried holding down the buttons, and repeatedly clicking. The menu just continues to display "Mac/IP=xxxxxxxxxxx/10.0.0.3"

Today ended up being a 16 hour+ work day, so i could just be tired and missing something obvious. Maybe it will be clear in the morning.

After further reading I'm not sure the 1100's IP can be set through the LCD.

Page 225 in the manual

"If BOOTP is disabled, or no BOOTP server exists on
the network, you must use RSLogix 500 programming
software to enter/change the IP address for each
processor or you must use DHCP instead of it."

I hope i'm wrong because i don't have rslogix 500.

The easiest way to get connected is through the serial port then change the I/P address to what you want. You can get a cable for the serial port at link below.

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

Thanks for link. I ordered the the1761-CBL-PM02 with built in serial converter.

I was really hoping to get connected this weekend. But that's is starting to look like it might be out of the picture.

No RSLogix500? Oh boy. Being a PLC you should have done a little more research about what you will need to program it. I assumed you had some PLC experience involving 500, those damned assumptions...never mind you have to learn some how.

Also apologies if I made assumptions about the LCD options for the 1100 being the same as the 1400. It's been a while since I've worked with one. I should have also read the LCD section of 1100 manual. The ENET Cfg on the 1100 only displays the MAC address and IP address. No options to set IP via LCD.

The serial is an easier method Mickey, but as Malador hasn't got one, I was trying to work with what he/she has. Having a serial cable is always important with these controllers, especially if you want to upgrade the firmware.

If no requests in BOOTP from controllers MAC address, BOOTP is probably disabled. You can only turn it back on via 500.

You could try something else while waiting for the serial cable. You know the IP address of the controller (10.0.0.3). Set your PC IP address to 10.0.0.1. This puts it in the same range as the controllers IP address. Leave PC Subnet Mask at 255.255.255.0. Try ping it again.
It won't get you any further until you have RSLogix500 & RsLinx installed, but it would test the Ethernet port.
Did you get the software yet?

No RSLogix500? Oh boy. Being a PLC you should have done a little more research about what you will need to program it. I assumed you had some PLC experience involving 500, those damned assumptions...never mind you have to learn some how......

I do have SOME experiences programming 500's. I took two terms of night classes at the local community college on the SLC500's. We also use a lot of plcs 5 at work, which seem really similar to the 500's.. I don't really do much with them at work, other than see whats going on inside for trouble shooting, and the techs who maintain them sometimes let me make simple additions to the program. I bought the micrologix to gain experience that I'm hoping will help me at work.

I had made the assumption that micrologix would be a complete substitute for micrologix500.

You could try something else while waiting for the serial cable. You know the IP address of the controller (10.0.0.3). Set your PC IP address to 10.0.0.1. This puts it in the same range as the controllers IP address. Leave PC Subnet Mask at 255.255.255.0. Try ping it again.
It won't get you any further until you have RSLogix500 & RsLinx installed, but it would test the Ethernet port.
Did you get the software yet?

No luck on the ping after changing my IP address. Am i going to need the 500 software even with the serial cable, or will Micrologix and rslinx classic be ok? We only have 5's and 5000's at work. I'd like to avoid buying the 500 software, I'm assuming it would cost me more than the controller. 🙃

To clarify:

RSLogix 5 configures and edits programs for PLC-5 family controllers.

RSLogix 500 configures and edits programs for MicroLogix and SLC-500 controllers.

RSLogix 5000 configures and edits programs for ControlLogix family controllers, including ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, DriveLogix, and SoftLogix 5800.

RSLogix 500 has several different editions, including one that is free of charge. The 'free' edition has been through a few iterations, but the current release supports just two types of controllers: MicroLogix 1000 and MicroLogix 1100.

Thankyou Ken, I was writing a reply to clarify the distinctions between the software & hardware when I noticed you were in the thread. I waited a while & you obliged!

Malador, the link Mickey gave you in thread #23 contains the free software Ken refers to for MicroLogix 1000 and 1100.

You need:

RSLogix Micro Starter Lite (v8.30) without RSLinx — for offline programming (English)

&

RSLinx Lite software - needed for online programming

Get those and install them.

Great to hear you have previous experience with SLC's. This will stand to you when dealing with MicroLogix PLCs.

Ok, I've had the right software then. It looks like now I just need to wait for the cable to show up.

Thank you everyone for all your help so far. I've been amazed at how helpful everyone has been on plctalk.net. I really appreciate you all taking your time to share your knowledge with me.