Factory talk vew me v6.1 display security

PERSPOLIS

HI EVERYBODY
I want to create security for only one display in the application.I have reviewed the factory talk view user manual section 11(SECURITY). The designated display can only be accessed by the maintenance personal.Following are what I will do and please correct me if I am wrong:
1- in display setting ,general tab, on top checked,display number entered and security A is selected.
2- Now in runtime security editor page I will remove all check mark except A, in the password space combination of numbers is keyed in. In spresdsheet area account is maintenance, Y for A the rest N.
Please let me know if above mentioned steps are correct.
Regards Perspolis

AT#1.jpg AT#2.jpg

You are correct, although you need one more step - make sure to uncheck the "A" box for the default login.

I do it slightly differently: I say "E" is the code for "Engineer"; "M" the code for "Maintenance", "P" the code for "suPervisor" (because it doesn't go up to S), and "O" the code for "Operator". Then I leave all the letters on and just remove the letters above each permission level - so a supervisor has all the codes except E and M, and a maintenance login has every code except E. Makes it easy to remember, and easy to set up more detailed security access.

But your way will work fine :)

... "E" is the code for "Engineer";
... "M" the code for "Maintenance",
... "P" the code for "suPervisor" (because it doesn't go up to S), and
... "O" the code for "Operator".

That's awesome! I have just been using A-E arbitrarily... New company policy haha!

Thank you all for the replies. I will do it later. Can it be verified on PC without connecting the terminal to controller.
Thanks

Yes, look for "test runtime application" in one of the menu's (can't remember which offhand). You'll get a whole lot of errors because it's can't talk to it's PLC but you should still be able to try accessing the page while logged in and out and make sure it only lets you in when logged in.

Rephrase my question ftvme security

HI EVERYONE
I have an application that in one of the displays it has a button which is (go to display) and related display is password protected.
I have attached the documents that I have followed but there is not password entry key .I wonder if any body can throw me into right direction in addition in run time security I have unchecked all letters except A account in security section ,account is default.
Perhaps I am looking into different things. The password is only known to maintenance crew.
Thank you all in advance

Hi M,

Is this, by any chance, the same PanelBuilder32 converted application we have been recently sorting out through email where you had an issue with your PLC shortcut?

If it is, and your last emailed question (NEXT F3 goto display button error) is related to the above, then I apologize for the delay in replying to your email as I was away on a "device free" holiday.

Do let me know as there are other display navigation issues within your converted application that may need to be addressed (if you have not already sorted them). These issues "may" have a bearing on your navigating to the secured display above.

If this is unrelated, then I apologize for the interruption and do carry on!

On the above issue...

You do not get a password prompt when opening a secured display via a goto display button. The already logged on user must have the display's assigned Security Code enabled against their account, which you appear to have set correctly in both cases above ("maintenance" and "default" accounts).

But I still think it "may" be another display navigation issue that is preventing it switching, at all? If indeed this is the same application I have before me.

Do let me know.

I think it also better if you address any further questions here on the forum only and not through email, unless sensitive in nature, information wise. This is more beneficial for others here who may have similar issues.

Regards,
George

HI Geospark and thank you for the reply.
As a matter of fact it is the same application and as you mentioned it was the shortcut and it has been sorted out.I think the main problem is tag addressing as I have noticed after the conversion the tags are in words (Main_motor_stop_PB_i)rather than FTVME tag addressing){::[shortcut]B3:0/0}. I do not have TCW utility to convert the tags from PB32 to FTVME so there are about 150 tags that I am changing them manually in addition as you know the conversion did not do a good job and all the displays ,fonts, colour ,tags needs to be done accordingly so as long as tags are not completed then perhaps is difficult to pin point the issue.You mentioned F3 NEXT is not password protected at all and by pressing F3 the next display will appear but there is only one display that is password protected that at the moment I am trying to have a go at it. Thanks a lot .

PERSPOLIS said:
...I think the main problem is tag addressing as I have noticed after the conversion the tags are in words (Main_motor_stop_PB_i)rather than FTVME tag addressing){::[shortcut]B3:0/0}. I do not have TCW utility to convert the tags from PB32 to FTVME so there are about 150 tags that I am changing them manually in addition as you know the conversion did not do a good job and all the displays ,fonts, colour ,tags needs to be done accordingly so as long as tags are not completed then perhaps is difficult to pin point the issue.

...Hold your horses!...

You do not necessarily have to edit all the tags. The original application used indirect reference addressing (HMI Tags). Whether you decide to continue to use this or not is up to you. But you should understand it either way.

If we examine more closely the example tag you have given above "Main_motor_stop_PB_i"...

If you look at the properties for the "OFF" button object on your display "3 - Main Motor", its "Connections" tab has two tags assigned...

Value = {Main_motor_stop_PB_w}
Indicator = {Main_motor_stop_PB_i}

These are internal "HMI Tags" which can point to either internal HMI "Memory", or external "Device" addresses.

If you look under HMI Tags, you will see these tags listed with the same "Tag Name" as above. These Tag Names give the reference a more descriptive meaning than the raw PLC addresses. If you look above the tag list you will see the "Data Source" for the tags. For example, the "Main_motor_stop_PB_w" tag has its Data Source "Type" set to "Device" and its Data Source "Address" is pointing to "::[PLC_shortcut]B9:0/3". The "Main_motor_stop_PB_i" tag is similarly pointing to "::[PLC_shortcut]B10:0/3". So the "OFF" button is indirectly reading and writing these PLC addresses via the HMI Tags.

This is the same for all 149 tags. So all of your converted tags are still indirectly pointing to the same PLC addresses as before. Unless your PLC addressing has changed you should not need to rename all or any of the tags, or the "Connections" tab references.

You can, if you wish, edit all the "Connections" tag references to point directly at the PLC addresses, but it is not entirely necessary to do so here. This would be using Direct Reference Tags and would ignore the HMI Tags completely at the object level. However, if indirect addressing worked OK before, it "should" work OK again.

Where are you editing the addresses?

In HMI Tags under "Tag Name" or under the "Connections" tab for each object?

If under the "Connections" tab and I'm too late, not to worry, carry on. They will work directly.

But, if editing the Tag Names under HMI Tags, this will not work, as now the "Connections" tab references will be voided.

I have a feeling though that you are doing it under the "Connections" tabs, hopefully?

Here is some more info on the difference between HMI Tags and Direct Reference Tags...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=640623

Regards,
George

PERSPOLIS said:
...You mentioned F3 NEXT is not password protected at all and by pressing F3 the next display will appear but there is only one display that is password protected that at the moment I am trying to have a go at it...

The "NEXT F3" goto display button is used on several displays. Is the correct display loading when you press it on all of the screens it is used on? I ask this because in my copy of the application all of that button's instances are pointed at the same display, number 31? Is this correct, as it would not suggest a "NEXT" action, but more a "go to Display 31 from anywhere" action?

Also, in my copy, none of the displays are currently secured. This is normal after conversion as PB32 display security is handled differently and so not converted. However, from the convert log file you gave me, I can see there was one display mentioned that was not converted security wise. I assume this is the same display you are trying to reinstate security upon now?

Which display and button are you trying to navigate to the secured screen from and do you get any error messages when dong so, or does it simply do nothing?

EDIT: I also notice under "Global Connections/Display" tab there were tags assigned as follows...

Replace Display Number = {Current_screen} - HMI Tag points to >>> ::[PLC_shortcut]N7:8
Remote Display Number = {PLC_control_screen_no} - HMI Tag points to >>> ::[PLC_shortcut]N7:25

Have a look at what logic, if any, is written in the PLC for those addresses?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
HI George
Thank you for clarification. Yes I have edited tags under connection (about 30 of tag )names changed to direct plc addressing Shall I change these to tag names or do I have to continue with what I was doing. Thanks

It's up to you which way to go?

You can stop there if you like. A mix of indirect and direct references will work, but it may appear "messy". If only 30 done so far, and it was me, I would go back.

Tip of the day...

Before doing major edits (such as all tags within an application), I would advise you make a backup copy to revert to if something unexpected crops up, like my revelation to you yesterday.

Maybe you have one?

Have you any info on the NEXT F3 goto button?
What should it do...go to next display or always display 31?

Have you had a chance to look at those PLC addresses assigned to the Global Connections Display tags?

G.

HI George
I just got home and saw your post. I just found a back up copy (.apa) file which I restored it and noticed all tags are indirect addressing (expression) but the displays need some editing. I will reply to F3 and global connection display tags tomorrow.
Thank you

HI
Sorry for delay. At screen number 6 (Ram adjust)if F3 for ram limits is pressed then password is entered, once verified then Screen number 7 (Ram Limits) is opened up so display #7 is password protected and this the only screen which is password protected in the PB32 application.
Also N7:8 and N7:25 are in the plc program (Status tag and Control tag). Thanks a lot