Questions on IFIX 5.0 talking to AB Compact Logix

alia176

This is my first application where I get to setup the entire SCADA from scratch and I'm very much looking forward to it. The PLC will be a AB CompactLogix 1769-L32E (with Ethernet). I'm hoping to use the ethernet port on the PLC for programming purposes as well as communication purposes between the SCADA node and the PLC. This PLC will be talking to several Micrologix 1500 RTU using the telephone line.

See the attached file for a visual representation of this project.

I have several questions in this regard so here goes!

- what is the best I/O driver to use? I have installed IGS (industrial gateway server) from GE's website. My boss prefers Modbus as he is very familiar with this protocol. I didn't see any drivers with regards to Modbus and AB. Is this possible?

- If any of you are familiar with IFIX tag types, I'd like to know if I should use AA (analog alarm) tags instead of AI (analog input) tags. It seems that an AA does everything that the AI tag does and then some (be sure to check the Enable Output box).

Thanks.

Network diagram for public.jpg

Last edited:
I would use an OPC server, similar to Kepserver, or others.
I would stay away from the IGS driver...
I have used the old drivers, and although they work, it would appear as though the OPC system would be more to your application.

I would use the Analog Alarm tagbase, for IFix.

Seems like quite a project for you to start out with.....
Are you the lead in this project?

How close are the nodes to one-and another? Line of sight?
If so, why not use radio modems, and get the serial to ethernet types,(example GE Inet900) collect the 1500's all at once...

Is it your choice of Brick PLC's....(I notice 1500 and 1000's)
They are older in nature.....is this a new system or a new Scada system?

Does not make much sense to me to utilize the phone system this day and age....
You might want to re-think things...

I would use an OPC server, similar to Kepserver, or others.
I would stay away from the IGS driver...
I have used the old drivers, and although they work, it would appear as though the OPC system would be more to your application.

I would use the Analog Alarm tagbase, for IFix.

Seems like quite a project for you to start out with.....
Are you the lead in this project?

How close are the nodes to one-and another? Line of sight?
If so, why not use radio modems, and get the serial to ethernet types,(example GE Inet900) collect the 1500's all at once...

Is it your choice of Brick PLC's....(I notice 1500 and 1000's)
They are older in nature.....is this a new system or a new Scada system?

Does not make much sense to me to utilize the phone system this day and age....
You might want to re-think things...

Thanks for your input. The client owns the telephone line and all remotes sites are already established with comm and PLCs. They're also miles apart in a mountainous location. The only thing new will be the SCADA system and the main telemetry PLC in the waste water tx plant. Two new Iclients will be utilized by the managers off site so those are new as well.