PLC-5 to ControlLogix upgrade

Seems quite straight forward from the video.
It is all hardware adapters, there is no software involved here....

But, seems ridiculous to go this route IMO.
Why not just grab the I/O from the terminal blocks in your panel, and forget about the 1771 arms, and wire with IFM modules to the new 1756 cards?

Unless I am missing something here,it is just taking care of the wiring...by allowing things to be plugged in/converted etc. It would be much cleaner to scrap the old 1771 arms, and wire directly.

I am wondering about the costs....

Yes, the IFM modules would probably be less expensive. Downtime is a consideration in this changeover and using the adapter plates should be quite a bit quicker.

Thanks for the input though.

I didn't know that adapter/conversion kit existed. I can see where it could come in handy for panels where downtime or re-wiring is cost prohibitive.

Have you done the software conversion yet? Have you been able to test it. It's not always an easy automatic conversion to switch from PLC-5 to CLX.

But, seems ridiculous to go this route IMO.
Why not just grab the I/O from the terminal blocks in your panel, and forget about the 1771 arms, and wire with IFM modules to the new 1756 cards?

Unfortunately some panels don't have terminal blocks, the wiring from
the outside world runs directly to the 1771-ARM's. Not the way I would ever to it but they are out there.

It looks pretty convenient to me.

are any of the original modules the 1771-IFE analog type? ... if so, I'm just wondering how the conversions are going to take care of the "jumpers" which selected "current" vs. "voltage" - and "single-ended" vs. "differential" ...

with the 1771 modules the jumpers were located INSIDE the module ... with the 1756 modules the jumpers are located OUTSIDE the module on the terminal blocks ...

so ...

if you ARE currently using the 1771-IFE modules, then make sure that the new (plug-in) wiring takes the jumpers into consideration when you do the change-over ...

Last edited:
this whole conversion kit idea is a new one on me ... please come back and let us know how it finally works out ...

one thing that's got me thinking is this:

from the video it looks like there are going to be quite a few "extra" electrical connections involved in this approach - and most of those connections seem to be "buried/hidden/inaccessible" behind that hinged plate ... so ... are those little plug-in cable thingies long enough to let the plate hinge up and access the terminations of the old field wiring? - or will the system have to be shut down - and the cables unplugged - in order to put a voltmeter, etc. on the bitter end of the field wiring for troubleshooting purposes? ...

and I just gotta ask ... why are you doing this upgrade in the first place? ... is the older PLC-5 system giving you problems? ... or are you looking for some specific advantage from the ControlLogix platform? ...

Interesting product, but er, meh.
We've done a number of PLC to ControlLogix upgrades here, and have just moved the wires from the swingarms to the Logix terminal blocks. It doesn't seem like this would save a whole lot of time, and introduces more points of failure.

Our local RA rep brought a demo one of those around for us to see and determine if it fit our needs at all.

One of the issues I had was that the "hardware" in the convsion chassis was not robust ... the connector was broken off.

Another issue I had was one that was brought up already ... you have to know your system and how it is wired. There is a difference in wiring topology for single ended and differential analog inputs, etc.

In the end, I found we were better off just wiring the ControlLogix cards to the terminal blocks.