Pressure transducer for a wastewater line

Cow

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good reasonably priced 4-20mA transducer I can use with a VFD running a PID loop on a wastewater line? The system is using a softstart right now, but it's over pressurizing the line. So whatever kind of transducer I come up with will most likely get something welded onto the steel line to mount it. It's a blank slate right now for mounting options.

I've done quite a few constant pressure water systems, but haven't done a constant pressure wastewater system yet.

I'd probably be looking for 0-250 psi or so to have a little buffer in there. I think it'll end up running around 75-150 psi when it's done.

Thanks.

We use "Automation Direct" for almost the exact same thing. We install these in a saltwater tank(oil field injection), then hook to a Schneider Altivar 630 VFD, the vfd is running a "PID" for pumping saltwater back down the hole. This type of operation is very precise it will maintain the level in the tank to almost exactly what you set it at.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good reasonably priced 4-20mA transducer I can use with a VFD running a PID loop on a wastewater line? The system is using a softstart right now, but it's over pressurizing the line. So whatever kind of transducer I come up with will most likely get something welded onto the steel line to mount it. It's a blank slate right now for mounting options.

I've done quite a few constant pressure water systems, but haven't done a constant pressure wastewater system yet.

I'd probably be looking for 0-250 psi or so to have a little buffer in there. I think it'll end up running around 75-150 psi when it's done.

Thanks.

I've had good luck with IFM's line of pressure sensors.

+1 For IFM

The PT2424 or PT 2434 should work for you.
https://www.ifm.com/products/us/ds/PT2424.htm
https://www.ifm.com/products/us/ds/PT2434.htm

They have NPT fittings for the process side.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have a rep for Turck looking into a solution now, my major concern of course was plugging. I didn't think a regular transducer threaded into a bung would hold up without having a diaphragm or some sort of seal between the sensor and wastewater?

I could be wrong though. This is cow manure that has had the solids separated from it and then stored in a lagoon where anything left in it most likely settles out. This is a booster pump drawing from the lagoon and sending it to irrigation pivots.

Those gauge isolators are interesting Tom, I hadn't seen those before. I'll have to do some digging on those.

EDIT: Is it really that simple Tom? If I install a gauge isolator, can I get away with installing a regular pressure transducer?

That would be great if I could use the same pressure transducer that we use on water systems.

Last edited: