Logix5000 V20 ACD start Logix Designer V21

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Strange things happening....

I have a bunch of RSLogix5000 V20 .ACD files that open perfectly well on my desktop PC, but when I try to open them on my laptop, they try to open with V21 (Logix Designer), and of course, fail to open.

This happens even if I have V20 running, and do a "File->Open", or if I double-click the .ACD file.

Has anyone seen this strange behaviour, and more importantly, know how to solve the dilemma ?

TIA

It is the Windows file extension association of course...:D

"To set File Associations in Windows 10/8/7, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. Select a file type in the list and click Change Program. You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default."

Find the '.ACD' and change the associated program from Studio5K to RSL5K.

I believe this issue is usually caused by the Studio5K install (and the opening of a Studio5K file) prior to the installation of RSL5K. Windows will associate '.ACD' files with the Studio5K while they should be considered of the "RSLogix 5000 Type" no matter if they're V20(or lower) or V21(or higher).

Last edited:
It is the Windows file extension association of course...:D

"To set File Associations in Windows 10/8/7, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. Select a file type in the list and click Change Program. You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default."

Find the '.ACD' and change the associated program from Studio5K to RSL5K.

I believe this issue is usually caused by the Studio5K install (and the opening of a Studio5K file) prior to the installation of RSL5K. Windows will associate '.ACD' files with the Studio5K while they should be considered of the "RSLogix 5000 Type" no matter if they're V20(or lower) or V21(or higher).

I don't believe that is the issue - on my desktop PC .ACD files are associated with "Logix Designer Project" - "Component of the Logix Designer Application", and that PC opens pre Logix Designer files (i.e. <= V20) with no problems.

And it doesn't explain why, if I already have V20 running and do a "File->Open" it switches to V21

It simply shuts down the version that is currently open and starts-up the correct version to open the .ACD file...

I'll investigate further tomorrow....

Not sure, but I know between some of the old versions, you could change the L5X file with notepad (don't remember the exact problem still). Did you try to modify this in notepad? Normally it shows the time and version of Logix of the last couple of saves of the program.

Edit:
btw, there were lot of differences between 20.00, 20.01. 20.03 and 20.04. Only 20.04 opens all the previous formats, but if you save can't be open anymore with the previous ones. Sure you already know this, but just trying to give some hints

Last edited:
All my PCs and laptops list the '.ACD' files as of 'RSLogix 5000 Type'.

No matter the file version an icon double-click, right-click Open or File/Open, will use either RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 depending of the application's version.

I have just discovered that my V20 on the laptop is 20.00, and on the desktop it is V20.04

I am going to install V20.04 on the laptop.