USB to parallel converter

Chance85

Hello everyone

Has anyone had any issues using a usb to parallel port converter? I need to use some software that requires a dongle, however the p.c. I have to use doesn't have a parallel port.

Thanks

No experience, but I'm guessing that it will be much like a USB to serial converter. That is your mileage may vary.

Ive used one for an old Panduit label printer I have. My laptop, of course) doesnt have a parallel port. It works, but i have to tell the program to print twice to get it to work.

I did extensive research few months ago for a different project:

While most of USB to serial converters emulate COM port, all USB to Parallel converters will not emulate parallel LPT port and will create Virtual PRINTER Port

Dongle applications typically need direct access to parallel port and will not work with USB

The other option would be to use a card bus/parallel converter but I cannot be sure it would work either but they are cheap.

I had the same issue with a Sentinel dongle. I was able to get it working with a PCI bus parallel port card. Mapping the dongle to the port was a little tricky, but it works now. Computer was a new Lenovo desktop without a standard parallel port.