Modicon PLC with Modbus Barcode Scanner

Jmickle

Hello,

I am curious to know if there is an easy way to use a barcode scanner with a Modicon plc. I have been doing a ton of research and cant really find my answer.

The PLC uses a Modbus connection and I am not sure what I am supposed use to communicate between the scanner and the PLC.

Do I need to use a gateway of some sort to have an rs232 barcode scanner communicate with a Modbus plc? Is there any barcode scanners that have Modbus functionality?

Thanks
-Jesse

Last edited:
Can you specify what barcode scanner and the communication that you require?
What Modicon PLC are you using?

I would use AdvancedHMI and visual studio to open a port and collect the information from the Serial RS232 barcode scanner.
Using the communication drivers in this software, I would then put the information in the PLC.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/
This is just one way. Until you can narrow down exactly the hardware you have then we can determine if the barcode scanner can communicate directly to the serial port on the PLC.
Barcode Scanner with Modbus.
http://www.datalogic.com/eng/products/industrial-automation/fixed-industrial-barcode-readers/ds8100a-pd-355.html
https://www.datalogic.com/tools/downloadfm.aspx?iddwnfile=8783&path=%2Fupload%2Fia%2Ffile_masters%2FGC_IDENTIFICATION_ENA4.pdf&name=DS-DS8100A-ENA4&range=63-71

Regards,

Garry,

The PLC is a Modicon Quantum with a 65150 processor. The barcode scanner I was looking to get would be the Datalogic DS1100
http://www.datalogic.com/eng/produc...industrial-barcode-readers/ds1100-pd-347.html

This has an RS232 connection. I was also looking into getting an Ethernet/IP scanner. But if there is an easy way to get a certain scanner you might know of that will work, by all means, let me know.

Let me know if you need more info. I am still learning this field of device communication.

-Jesse

Hi Jesse,
Looking through the Modicon Quantum manual, I did not see a method of using one of the serial parts directly to the RS232 port.
The easiest way would to use AdvancedHMI running on a computer. Hook up the barcode to the serial port. Connect another serial port to the plc. (Modbus Protocol)

Regards,

Garry,

I am not looking to have any nearby PCs. Just need a single barcode scanner to be able to communicate to the PLC. Also, I am not familiar with the AdvancedHMI application. If there is a way to just use hardware without having to connect any sort of PC, please let me know.

This is for a washer/dryer application. You scan your ID in the barcode scanner and it will activate the washer for a certain amount of time and register the ID that was scanned...

I was wondering if I could use a gateway of some sort to convert the rs232 or Ethernet signal into a Modbus TCP signal. This is one of the gateways I was wondering will work with my application. http://www.digi.com/products/serial-servers/industrial-hardened-serial-servers/digioneiapfamily

Thanks,
-Jesse

So does the scanner you are using talk modbus on the rs232 layer or is it character mode?
Big difference between the two.

Garry,

I have been researching this gateway for some time now. Do you know if this will convert the RS232 barcode scanner to Modbus TCP/IP?

Chud,

The scanner needs to be able to communicate to the PLC via Modbus TCP/IP. All of the scanners I have been viewing have an RS232 connection, USB, or Ethernet. None of them mention anything about Modbus. So my problem is, I don't know what type of scanner to purchase to communicate with the Quantum PLC correctly.

Just to clarify a little more. My project- An employee scans their ID badge on the barcode scanner. The barcode on the badge is a number associated with the employee. This number will activate a washer and dryer application and will be put into a register for records.
Barcode scanner talks to the PLC (Modicon Quantum 65150), PLC talks to the washer/dryer.

-Jesse

Last edited:
Gary,

I believe you are correct!! This is what I will most likely be using. A Datalogic RS232 scanner and the RTA converter. Extremely grateful for your help and time, Gary!

Thanks,
-Jesse