Factory Talk View Studio create version 4 apa?

jpconard

Can FT View Studio (ME) create an APA that can be opened with Version 4 software? I thought somebody did this for me, but I don't see that feature in the backup app, or anywhere else.

I know you can create different versions of .MER files, but I am looking at the APA.

Also I see that version 5 can create an .MER (runtime) that can be opened for editing. Is there any downside to using this format and no longer keeping the APA files?

Also can the transfer utility be acquired from Rockwell as a separate program? (In case somebody just wanted the transfer utility to download/upload .mer files).

Rockwell told me that downgrading an APA from version 5 to 4 is possible, but you would have to have inside knowledge of how the XML files are set up to translate it, what features to remove that V4 doesn't recognize, and so on. So in short, no, it is not possible. This caused a lot of problems since you can't have version 4 and 5 on the same PC at the same time.

I'm not sure if you lose anything restoring from the MER file. If you find out post back here :)

I don't think it can be installed separately, but you CAN run it without a valid Studio license installed. Just install Studio on the PC you want to use just for transferring.

The .APA file is simply a backup of your project in whatever version you are doing development in. It should contain all aspects of your project including your RSLinx Enterprise Development (Local) and Runtime settings.

I don't know this for certain as I have yet to try it. But I suspect the .MER file does not contain your RSLinx Enterprise settings for Development (local). This would require you to then rebuild this lost configuration.

Again, I don't know this, but I suspect it.

OG

A .mer, is a machine language file, it stands for Machine Edition Runtime. It's acompiled file that can be copied directly in the HMI using the Windows CE integrated in the HMI, I speak about AB of course.
You can access the main menu oh your HMI by attaching an USB Keyboard and type similtaneously the combination key ctrl+shift+alt+enter,. Once you accessed the main menu of your HMI, you select the file manager and you follow the instruction. Of course you have to plug a flash disk to the HMI USB port, or a compact flash, Your .MER file should be in the FD or the CF. It should be located exactly in a folder like the one you have in your pc where ther's the RS ME, You should respect exactly the same folder hierarchy.