Machine Edition - Factory Talk - Confused

elitheei

I been doing TCP HMI's for years and now got to do AB's. PanelView 600, 700 and 1000. I for all the software ... I think. RS studio, Factory talk. The PLC end I got, been doing that for yrs. The HMI on this brand is new to me. I need help with the software, WHERE in the HECK do I start. I need a tutorial .... LOL. To much for the old brain.
Someone pls throw me a bone. I went to the knowledgebase today and downloaded 600 pages of manuals ... a years worth of reading. Anyone got a quick and nasty version to get me started then I will roll.
Dog

I, too am fairly new to FactoryTalk View Studio (formerly known as RSView Studio). That is the name of a large, all encompassing system of software used to program both PC and server-client based HMI systems as well as the Windows CE based PanelView Plus line of HMIs.

The word PanelView by itself has become ambiguous without the word Plus or Standard as a suffix, so always try to be specific with your questions...In your case, since you mentioned FactoryTalk, it is clear you are dealing with the newer line which is totally different from the older PanelView Standard. Or as my floor techs refer to them "A Gray PanelView" vs. "A Black Panelview".

Follow this link and click on "FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Quick Start Videos"

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/solutions/integratedarchitecture/resources4.html

Also, look on ab.com for the Literature Library (or among your 6000 pages of pdf files) for one called a Panel View Plus "Quick Start Guide".

While the new stuff is complicated and sometimes convoluted, it is also the beneficiary of a large base of above average documentation, tech support and wide user base.

Some general tips for finding literature at their massive online library:
Search for the product name, then sort by "Publication Type" and Descending order. That will put things like Quick Start Guides, User Manuals and Reference Manuals at the top of the list and push things like Brochures to the bottom.

Good Luck!
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the HELP .... Yes I am Talking about the "Gray" HMI's. It seems like when we all get a good grip on a AB product they change direction. All this Studio, Factory Talk, I can remember the terms from work until I get home to post a question. The old brain is about wore out. Any way thanks for the help.

Dog

I found it all reasonably intuitive when I first used it for the Panelview Plus HMI. As long as you don't get caught up with all the factory talk stuff, which it sounds like you may have. It is confusing, but you should not really need to worry about it.

Just create a new project, tell it the screen type and start developing screens. Much the same as the old Panelview 32, with extras, and the ability to search and replace.

It is always easier to start with a sample if you can get hold of one.

Basic steps
1. Create your database. Well that is pretty confusing right there if you like to create it in excell as I do. Enter a few tags, and export so you can work out the format.

2. Create a graphic

3. Create an object and explore the options

It is always difficult when starting a new platform, but you just need to start at the basics. As your project develops, so does your understanding. Do not try to know everything at once.