Alarm printer Intouch 10.1 send to NMEA

RobinH

Hi, Im currently working on a project where I have to send alarms over to a VDR. The protocol is NMEA 0183 so the format should be NMEA.

What i need to send is point number, alarm text, value, limit and time on.

What i can do is to set up an extra alarm printer using Alarm Printer function in intouch just sending out each alarm, but the problem here is that it will not send it in NMEA format.

I can configure the alarm printer to send what i want. So another solution would be to e.g format the column comment to NMEA format and just send this to the "printer". But how can i get actual alarm value, time and limit included in the column comment?

Has anyone else faced this challenge before?
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best regards

I learned something new today, I had only heard of NMEA 0183 for use in GPS sensors I hadn't realised that it also covered communication between various marine devices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

I haven't used Wonderware Intouch, and so can't be of much help. If I was using the Beijer HMIs that I know, there is a button as I create an alarm that allows me to include data. Otherwise I would use the Alarm to trigger a Text Block to print and that would contain the NMEA 0183 sentence complete with data.

Hi BryanG,

Glad to hear that you are learning new things.

Yes, thats exactly what i was trying to accomplish. I will use the alarm to trigger a text block which contains the NMEA sentence to print. The problem is how can i add actual value and alarmlimit inside this texte block when i define the Text Block as a comment in the intouch tag?

Another solution for me would be to buy a Serial port interface from AMI marine that converts the data sent to the printer port to NMEA format. This is a very expensive solution so my preferred solution would be to find out an easy an cheap solution.