Advice. Multiple versions of RS 5000

bill4807

Hi all,

In need of some advice. Currently I am working on 2 new system projects about halfway done with both. Utilizing L16s, and L24s....Using my current V20.01 software.
We have just landed another 2 projects that Spec me to use rs5000 V24 and FTVIEW ME V8.

I do need to update my tech connect since it has lapsed the beginning of the year. We go through spirts of AB projects we will have none for a year then this happens.
So it has not been up to date due to that.

I have read I can run multiple versions from one laptop?
Or should I just upgrade to V24 and convert my halfway made programs to that..
I realize from V20 and up is now RS logix designer, also I can use guard master safety. Which would be helpful sometimes.
Any recommendations?

With RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000, you can have multiple versions installed on the same laptop - when you open a file, RSLogix/Studio automatically selects the correct version based on the file.

With FTView Studio, you can only have one version. However, you can create older runtime files using the newer software - that is, you can run FTView Studio ME v8, and create a v6 runtime file for loading onto the PVP. Someone running FTView Studio v6 or newer can then restore that runtime file back into their FTView Studio just fine.

Your other option is virtual machines - just about everyone around here uses them, and that's (one of the reasons) why.

Personally I have had no luck installing multiple versions of RSL5000.

The last installed version was always the only one that opened.

I would suggest a VMWare virtual machine and install one version in that. Also, ver 20.01 has been updated to ver 20.04 that took care of some fixes needed - and 20.04 will open all other 20.xx projects.

Installing RSLogix 5000 v20 and Studio 5000 v24 on the same Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer should work fine.

I have 18,19,20, 21, and 24 all installed on the same VM.

When I launch the "RSLogix 5000" icon, v20 opens by default. I can also open v18/19 projects and it will open up the correct version.

When I launch the "Studio 5000" icon, v24 opens by default. Likewise I can open v21 projects separately.

As noted, FactoryTalk View doesn't work nearly as cleanly. I never install updates of FTView, preferring to do one clean install on a VM.

Personally I have had no luck installing multiple versions of RSL5000.

The last installed version was always the only one that opened.

I would suggest a VMWare virtual machine and install one version in that. Also, ver 20.01 has been updated to ver 20.04 that took care of some fixes needed - and 20.04 will open all other 20.xx projects.

If you just open the software from the icon, it will open the latest version. If you then click File>Open and select an older file, it will close that version of Logix and open the correct version, and load the requested file.

I am a little unfamiliar with virtual machines. Seems like i should go this route.
I know they can run other Operating systems on one machine. Will i need to run another windows 7 on this VM? So now i have two windows 7s..Do I download a VM app to get started?

To ASF and Ken,
If I do this will I need to uninstall all my software on my "real" computer and reinstall it to my virtual machine? Keeping nothing on my standard Windows 7, and it all on the windows 7 VM?

Unrelated to this topic. One this that is really annoying is sometimes have this issue when I have my V20 open for a while and close the window I opened it out of, when I go to resave "save as" or save it pops up unable to save..path not found. Never seen that before.

Also having some of these bugs I recently about 2 weeks ago reinstalled version 20. Which I thought was V20.03. But whenever I go to help menu it shows V20.01. Maybe I have a problem following what's going on with the version. But I definitly need to understand this.

When my RS5k got buggy I uninstalled all of the random versions and installed the latest first. Then I installed the other versions I needed and that fixed everything.

I think the problems occur with the 10 million services that run in the background and load on startup, not the actual program itself. I'm guessing installing new versions over old versions bump it up to about 15 million services, which might be too much for it to make sense of :)

Installing RSLogix 5000 v20 and Studio 5000 v24 on the same Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer should work fine.

I have 18,19,20, 21, and 24 all installed on the same VM.

I'll second this....

I have versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 of RSLogix5000 installed, plus versions 21 and 24 of Studio5000.

And these are not on a VM either, just base Windows 7 - perhaps that's a future project, but not had any issues so far, fingers crossed.

Thanks everybody for the great information.

I am contacting Rockwell for the upgrades I need. I will follow by installing all of the versions. I was unaware I could have access to all of them.

When my RS5k got buggy I uninstalled all of the random versions and installed the latest first. Then I installed the other versions I needed and that fixed everything.

I think the problems occur with the 10 million services that run in the background and load on startup, not the actual program itself. I'm guessing installing new versions over old versions bump it up to about 15 million services, which might be too much for it to make sense of :)

I remember reading (years ago) that you should always install oldest first, then go in order from there. But your comments seem to make sense, no well written installer should overwrite a newer version of anything with an older version.....

Just to check with you more experienced guys, if I now want to install RSLogix 5000 v19.01.01 on a laptop with Windows 7 where I already have Studio 5000 v31.01.00 it's better to deinstall Studio 5000 first, install RSLogix 5000, and then reinstall Studio 5000 again to be sure there won't be any problems?
Sorry for thread necromancing, but this doesn't seem as thread worthy.

...maybe?

If it were me I'd just give installing v19 a try and see what happens. Make sure you have a current backup of your laptop first.

I mean, ideally, you'd be running a virtual machine and you'd just take a snapshot before you tried it so you could immediately roll back if something didn't work.

I'll second this....

I have versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 of RSLogix5000 installed, plus versions 21 and 24 of Studio5000.

And these are not on a VM either, just base Windows 7 - perhaps that's a future project, but not had any issues so far, fingers crossed.

I have a client running versions 15,17,19,20 and 24 on a Windows 10 machine at their plant, but I didn't install the software. Their corporate IT department set it up for them.