AB Device Net Turck Module

jeffsipp

I have 3 Turck FDNQ-CSG44-T nodes via Device Net. I keep getting a Missing Node error. This seems to have began when I replace one that was a version 5.003 with a new one that is version 6.002.

I bought the $1500.00 1784-U2DN cable as instructed but now I have now found out that our company does not any longer have the RS Networx (due to windows XP laptops all being tossed away).

I wanted to turn off the "NODE ACTIVE" in the Scanner Module.

Anybody have any ideas? Any old laptops floating around with this software?

Thanx and please be kind in your response!

You need RSnetworx for DeviceNet, its vital for working with DeviceNet. Its quite possible that the new node is not configured the same as the node that was replaced.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community, Jeff ! I'm going to write you down as Packer Backer and schedule you for smack talk when the playoffs come.

(due to windows XP laptops all being tossed away).

The good news is that you should be able to re-download and re-activate a modern revision of RSNetworx for DeviceNet, since your serial numbers are recorded at Rockwell. If you're also in a situation where your support contract is expired and nobody has any records about your serial numbers of eligibility, get in touch with your Rockwell distributor to get it sorted out.

This seems to have began when I replace one that was a version 5.003 with a new one that is version 6.002.

The code should actually indicated a device type mismatch, which would be an status code 73 instead of the usual "no response from device" code of 78.

Do you really want to disable this device in the scanlist so that the error code goes away, or do you want the device to function again ?

Without RSNetworx, it's a challenge to make a permanent change to a scanlist object using DeviceNet explicit messaging to the scanlist object, but it can be done. It's not really a novice process.

This device has two dial settings for node addressing (underneath the plastic clear cover in the middle). Are they set to match the node that was replaced?

00270348_0.png

Yes, we did that along with running new Turck Cables. Its just the same part with diff version firm ware is giving us issues. We have even tried 2 different new nodes and experience the same issue.
Thank you.

giving us issues

Exactly what is the "issue" ? Is it that the device doesn't work all the time, or works intermittently ? What's the status code shown on the scanner ?

I realize that *you* know what you're referring to as an "issue", but I'm trying to get to the root cause and the desired outcome.

I think what I'm hearing you say is that the I/O connection to this device has been intermittent, and that you've replaced it with new physical media and a new device, but that the connection is still intermittent.

But I want to be clear, because I'm confused by your mention of firmware revisions and why you would want to disable the I/O connection.

Node

Thank you in advance for all your help, I am trying to stumble through this to the best of my abilities as we cant find any body to come in and help us at this point as they all just want to tear out our older AB PLC install a new one and charge us $18,000.

Error codes on the device net panel read 73 along with either 11,12 or 13 (depending on where we have the new node connected, new node being the version 6.002, read below for more info on the version 6.002 and 5.003)

We only receive this error when we select via our HMI to active the associated node. Currently the node is addressed as 11.

I am being told by Turck that a node with 5.003 (older model) may not operate as the same part number node with 6.002 (the 5.003 and 6.002 being the firmware in the node it's self).

We have three nodes in the system and two of them are 5.003 and they work fine but the 6.002 does not communicate. We have switched them around (yes we change the address on the nodes them selves).

What model of A-B controller and what model of DeviceNet Scanner are you using ? Is it an SLC-500 with a 1747-SDN, or a CompactLogix with a 1769-SDN, or a ControlLogix with a 1756-DNB ?

Error codes [...] 73 along with either 11,12 or 13

Thank you. That is very clearly an "Electronic Keying" problem. Your DeviceNet scanner expects to see a Turck module with version 5 firmware, and instead there's one with version 6 firmware.

I am being told by Turck that a node with 5.003 (older model) may not operate as the same part number node with 6.002

Maybe. I would ask them to describe in detail which configuration settings they think are different.

I don't think the v5 and v6 blocks will function differently. The I/O sizes and configuration parameters are identical in the v5 and v6 EDS files, available from Turck:

http://old.turck.us/illustrations/EDS, FDNQ-CSG44-T.ZIP

There are small differences in the I/O connection section; I'm going to look those up and figure out what they mean.

OK, I verified the difference in the I/O definition section. The code simply says that v6 blocks will simultaneously support a Polled I/O connection (the default type) at the same time as a Change-of-State and a Cyclic I/O connection.

V5 blocks would support all three types, but only one at a time. 90% of DeviceNet systems use only Polled I/O connections anyhow.

If I were working on this system, I would do this:

1. Connect the 1784-U2DN to the system with RSLinx Classic, allowing it to detect the data rate automatically.

2. Browse the network with RSLinx Classic to be sure that the software recognizes all the devices on the network. If any of them are "unknown", use the EDS Registration Tool to register them. Of course I've already done this with all of the available Turck EDS files.

2. Open RSNetworx for DeviceNet with a new project.

3. Go online with the network, and browse to be sure the software "sees" all the nodes I expect.

4. Perform an "Upload from Network" to upload all the configuration data from all the network devices into my RSNetworx project.

5. Perform an "Upload" from the DeviceNet Scanner to be sure I have the Scanlist and all of its configuration information in the project.

6. Put the PLC controller in PROG mode.

7. Open the Scanlist Configuration applet. Go to each Turck device and un-check the "Major Firmware Revision" selection box in the Electronic Keying section for each one.

8. Click the Apply button in the Scanlist Configuration applet.

9. Put the scanner back in RUN mode.

10. Test the system to be sure it can use any of the selected Turck modules. Cycle power and test it again.

11. Go back to my truck and write up an invoice along with a quote for a custom DeviceNet basics and troubleshooting seminar.