TIA Portal export to text file.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
Using Allen Bradley RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000, you can save the ACD file that contains your project as a text file with the extension "L5K". And you can start from a L5K file and import to RSLogix or Studio.
Is there a way to do something similar with TIA Portal?
Maybe is only possible to export to text files only parts of the project, like tags, functions, etc.

Thank you!

I believe that you can't do that and have to do each individual piece (OB, FC, FB, DB) separately. I think you could select a bunch to export in one go, but am not sure you'd have all in a single text file.

Why would this be needed?

I believe that you can't do that and have to do each individual piece (OB, FC, FB, DB) separately. I think you could select a bunch to export in one go, but am not sure you'd have all in a single text file.
Yeah, there's a "Generate source from blocks", but it has to be applied block by block, and the code have to be written in SCL.
Why would this be needed?
To be able to make some modifications to the text file and import it back.

Elcan
What specifically are you trying to accomplish?
To get blocks or code from one project to another?
To be able to make some modifications to the text file (for example, generating new code using an Excel macro) and import it back.

To be able to make some modifications to the text file (for example, generating new code using an Excel macro) and import it back.

I'm not 100% sure, but I would say that you are probably trying to adapt TIA Portal to the way you worked in RS Studio instead of seeing how things are done in Siemens.

I may be wrong, but I've seen time and time again in AB world that people would use export to duplicate code in a subroutine. In Siemens, there are no subroutines or weird way of passing parameters. You define a function with inputs and outputs and that's a code block. You then just call that block with the correct input parameters and or Instance DB.

Do you want to walk us through what is the modification that you are trying to implement?

I'm not 100% sure, but I would say that you are probably trying to adapt TIA Portal to the way you worked in RS Studio instead of seeing how things are done in Siemens.

I may be wrong, but I've seen time and time again in AB world that people would use export to duplicate code in a subroutine. In Siemens, there are no subroutines or weird way of passing parameters. You define a function with inputs and outputs and that's a code block. You then just call that block with the correct input parameters and or Instance DB.

Do you want to walk us through what is the modification that you are trying to implement?
If you are talking about FCs and FBs, I'm using them.
What I'm trying to reproduce in the TIA Portal what I do in RSLogix, like generating the rungs for reading DIs and writing DOs, starting from an Excel list of I/Os.

I think that Openness it's a little overkill for my purposes, but I'd like to play with it anyway. Thank you for the tip!

Sometimes it feels like "overkill" is the most common design parameter at Siemens HQ :ROFLMAO:

In step7 i had a working excel sheet that with macro generated all necessary blocks for pumps valves with alarms manual control and so on given a list of items. It generated stl that would show up ok for ld, fbd and works as you describe. However I found out that copy paste inside Siemens was not slower in the long run and far less complicated even for large projects.

If you are talking about FCs and FBs, I'm using them.
What I'm trying to reproduce in the TIA Portal what I do in RSLogix, like generating the rungs for reading DIs and writing DOs, starting from an Excel list of I/Os.

This is where it gets tricky as it is my understanding that STL is on the way out (at least on new processors) and I'm not sure what the rungs would translate to.

However, why would the mapping be outside of a single function for you to require exporting the entire code?

This is where it gets tricky as it is my understanding that STL is on the way out (at least on new processors)
Good to know.

However, why would the mapping be outside of a single function for you to require exporting the entire code?
Actually I'm more interested in the importing part of it. However, I would need to know what format is TIA Portal expecting to receive for things like hardware, so I can mimic it.

And if you can figure it out- it will do anything
I've never had it box me in on a project
Openness seems to be very sophisticated, at least from a quick look at the manuals. My question is, would I be able to automatically generate a Siemens PLC program, defining tags, FB, FC, logic, etc., out from a machine list (providing that I have already defined the corresponding UDTs, FCs and FBs)?
What about the HMI?
I know it sounds ambitious, but I would like to know what is the limit using Openness.