Transfer Data From Siemens PLC to AB PLC

Danocane

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions to tranfer some data from a Siemens S7 400 series PLC to an Allen Bradley PLC.

Existing System: 2 Siemens Step7 400 Series PLCs, 1 Allen Bradley PLC5/30 and a PC HMI running FactoryLink software. Each of the Siemens PLCs connect to the FactoryLink HMI through an Ethernet HUB and cables. The AB PLC5/30 connects to the FactoryLink HMI with the Data Highway Plus Cable using a DataLink COMM converter module (think AB KF2) and RS232 serial port. (see diagram)

One of the many things that each of the Siemens PLCs does is collect data about Sorter product recirculation. The recirculation data is displayed on the FactoryLink HMI PC screen as "#1 Recirc %" and "#2 Recirc %". I need to get each of these Recirc % words into the AB PLC as integer words. Once these words are in the AB PLC I can set up compare functions to control the induction of product onto the sorter.

Looking at the existing communication connections does anyone have suggestions on how to get the information I need from the Siemens PLCs into the Allen Bradley PLC? Can this data transfer be handled through the FactoryLink PC? Would I be better off getting a device to convert the MPI/Profibus to Allen Bradley DH+ or does such a device exist?

Sorter001.gif

So, the FactoryLink HMI is already talking to both Siemens and AB? Why don't you just read the required data from Siemens in FactoryLink and write it to AB using FactoryLink?
FactoryLINK can truly be your link to both the PLCs

Thanx for the reply Automatic. I was thinking that this might be the way to go. I have not worked with FactoryLink before and I am not sure if the editing software is on the HMI PC. I do not know if this PC has only a run-time for the factoryLink application or is this software contain the editing feature.

Ethernet

Hi:

You can also connet throug ethernet, but you must program the protocol because as they are from diferent brands you should program a SEND RECIVE protocol.

Hapy Year,

Kelkoon

Run-Time Only

Hello Kelkoon,
I would have to add an Ethernet Comm module to the AB PLC5/30 system to connect directly to the Siemens S7 412 PLCs through the HUB. I was wanting to work the data through the FactoryLink application. I was able to get some information from the FactoryLink HMI PC last night:

Software Specs:
Windows NT Workstation ver. 4.0 (Servicepack4)
FactoryLink "Run Time" versions 6.6.0 ECS NT
Netop software for Remote Access via modem.

This is a Run-Time version only it appears I do not have access to the editing software. I usually work with RSView32 and RSView SE applications. I will have to see what it takes to get the FactoryLink editing software or contract someone who has this software.

Simple little projects can become so difficult so quickly sometimes.

Thanks for all replys.

Project is Completed

Thanx JohnW for the link. I have used some of the proLinx devices on other projects and comm protocals.

I ended up hiring a guy that had the FactoryLink editing software. He edited the FL application so I could get the Recirc percentage values into an integer file in the AB PLC5/30 through the DH+ connection. It was not as expensive as I had feared. Once I had the values in the integer filkes it was very easy to set up the compares in the AB ladder logic.

Thank you for all replys.

RSlogix vs Siemens through Profibus

I have 2 standalone Siemens S7 PLC's. They have each a MP370 attached through MPI, profibus (on board) is available. I also have an AB PLC RSlogix 5000. Here i want to add a profibus card.
Now i want to connect both systems with each other through profibus.
At the Siemens side it is no problem if i have the right gsd-files. But for the AB i do not know how to do it. I have no experience with thois system.

dmkar said:
I have 2 standalone Siemens S7 PLC's. They have each a MP370 attached through MPI, profibus (on board) is available. I also have an AB PLC RSlogix 5000. Here i want to add a profibus card.
Now i want to connect both systems with each other through profibus.
At the Siemens side it is no problem if i have the right gsd-files. But for the AB i do not know how to do it. I have no experience with thois system.

Look at these guys for profibus modules that are for the Contrologix. I have used them both as masters and slaves and they work quite well

Ian