Lookout 6.1: Is there any way to "find" where objects are being used?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

Client has an existing system that's running Lookout. Unfortunately previous integrator wasn't very good at labeling things very well, and some of the remote RTUs aren't described whatsoever. I'm trying to track down there the objects related to a specific RTU are being used, but it's a slow and frustrating process. I was wondering if there's a way to do a "find" for a specific object, much like searching for a specific register when programming a PLC. I haven't seen anything but it's to the point where I'm getting mired down, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask. I've never developed in Lookout before so I may be missing a way to do this.

I only used Lookout once years ago but I seem to remember that you could export the project to a text file and then you could search that to find the objects you are looking for. I also remember that creating new screen was a pain because you couldn't just copy a screen and change the objects because that would change the objects on both screens. To copy and change a screen you had to make a copy of the screen, export to the text file, search and rename the objects on the new screen and import the text file back in and then you would have a new screen that used all new objects. This most likely has changed since then with newer releases.

I only used Lookout once years ago but I seem to remember that you could export the project to a text file and then you could search that to find the objects you are looking for.

Thanks for the tip. I saw the export function but haven't messed with it. That sounds like the best way to try to hunt own some of these objects.

I also remember that creating new screen was a pain because you couldn't just copy a screen and change the objects because that would change the objects on both screens. To copy and change a screen you had to make a copy of the screen, export to the text file, search and rename the objects on the new screen and import the text file back in and then you would have a new screen that used all new objects. This most likely has changed since then with newer releases.

I'm luckily not needing to develop anything new, but I appreciate this info regardless and will keep it in my back pocket, because who knows what I may be working on in the future.