communication problem

motordata

On my laptop with windows 8
I am using RSLINX Classic Lite 3.74.00 CPR 9 SR 7.4 and
RSLOGIX 500 version 10.00.00 (CPR 9)
I am trying to communicate via AB-ETHIP-1 ethernet interface with a compactlogix 1769-L30ER LOGIX5330ER plc.
I can see the address 00 with the compactlogix when I use the RSLINX, however I cannot access with the RSLOGIX 500.
I get a: the target node is not an SLC-500 or MicroLogix controller.
Can someone point me in the right direction please?

As others said, RSLogix500 will not work for you with those controllers.

You will need RSLogix5000 if your controller has firmware v20. If it's v21 or greater, you will need the renamed software package called Logix Designer, which is in the Studio 5000 software package.

One thing you will need to know is that you must install the specific major revision that matches the major firmware revision of your controller. So if your controller has v28 firmware in it, you will need to install Studio 5000 Logix Designer v28. You can have multiple software revisions installed at the same time. I, for example, have Logix5000 v13 - v20 and Logix Designer v21 - v30 installed on my machine. Simply installing the latest version doesn't give you support for previous versions.

When you are online with RSLinx, right click on the CompacLogix and go to device properties and you will be able to see what version the CompactLogix is. This will let you know what version of RSLogix/Studio5000 that you need to buy.

Alan