Omron PID control algorithm

pbaker88

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me out with the type of algorithm Omron PLCs use?
Ideal, Series, or Parallel?

I'm running through a tuning method by Finn Peacock and i'm finding it hard to determine what algorithm to substitute my values into.

Thanks

In terms of the "algorithm types" image, Omron uses the Ideal equation with a couple of typical enhancements. First, a good option is to take derivative action on the PV rather than the error to avoid potentially unwanted control action at set point changes. It also appears that they have filtering on the set point, but no PV filtering into the derivative block.

Some other points of interest are that it is "interacting gains" (Kp is multiplied through) much like the A-B implementation referred to as ISA Interacting, derivative of PV, SP-PV. It does not appear to be scaled to percentages, in that Kp is in terms of engineering units. Make sure to understand the units of the other gains when using model-based calculations.

The one that is called series in there I doubt you will see in any modern equipment - Im sure it was a lay over of the older pneumatic controllers being replaced and wanting to mimic the algorithm used.

Unless the I and D are listed as Integral Gain or Derivative gain then you have ideal (ISA, standard) algorithm. Your screenshot shows integral time (seconds per repeat) and not reset rate (repeats per second)

I can't see on there the P description though, is it band or gain? If it doesn't tell you (which would be odd) then it is a simple test to figure it out.