Compact Logix Modbus Options

UKB

Hello;

I've got a Compact Logix L35E CPU, Id like to send and retrieve information from some Parker 690+ drives.
The Parker drives offer ASCII or Modbus RTU on RS485

Both devices support ASCII but I don't have the time to learn and troubleshoot the instructions from ladderlogic.
I would feel more comfortable using the modbus protocol.
I've narrowed down the modbus translator to either a redlion Datastation or a Prosoft MV169
They're similar on price,
Can anyone make any suggestions on previous experience, ease of use, setup, troubleshooting, etc..

Kind Regards,
UKB

I have used many many ProSoft in my life.. every single time it's a pain. No experience with datastation but I heard decent thing about it and you can try out the configuration with their free software.

I also heard very good thing with RTA gateways. Supposely, everything is configurable with embedded webpage. I would take a serious look at RTA.

£600 each and there are 3 drives, + the drives already have a RS485 tech box on them,

thanks though,

I haven't installed an ethernet tech box in a couple years, but I seem to recall them being around $200. Are you sure you're not getting gouged?

You could probably use a Red Lion Data Station as a protocol converter, those are around $600...

EDIT: I guess you're already aware of the RL solutiion.

I stand by that, it's my honest opinion. The manual is simply terrible. Yes, ALL the info is there but laid out in such illogical fashion. Probably written by an engineer (I'm one too, mind you).

I just ran into another ambush last week when I didn't realize that without a power-cycle or reboot the program edit doesn't take effect. Sure, it's rock solid once it's set up properly but in today's age, it's not measuring up to the competition.

My recommendations for this application, in order of preference, would be:

HMS Fieldbus Communicator

Prosoft Technology MVI69E-MBS Module

RTA Modbus RTU Gateway (prefer the 460ESMM-N34-D) to the 460ETCMM-N34-D)

Red Lion Data Station Plus (DSPLE)

Digi One IAP

The main differences among these devices are the ease of use of the configuration tool and the mechanism by which they exchange data with the CompactLogix.

I prefer the devices that act like an I/O adapter and exchange data rapidly and automatically with the CompactLogix.

That's an important difference between the two RTA modules: the "460ESMM" works like an EtherNet/IP I/O module, while the "460ETCMM" sends messsages to controller tags or data tables, which makes it compatible with SLC/MicroLogix as well.

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply,
I've used the redlion DSP before and expect Ill go with that as I already understand the process,
I had a look at the other solutions you suggested (prosoft & HMS) they both looked somewhat trickier and more time consuming to implement - does your experience with these devices prove otherwise?

kind regards
UKB

I would also recomend the HMS linking device. Just bought 2 but have not had the time to install them yet. Seems like a walk in the park though :)