Wye Start, Delta Run Motor connection

BachPhi

I have a 9 leads motor, I would like to wire it to Wye Start and Delta run connection. Can this be done?

Thanks.

Baldor_Motor_9_wires.png

Delta_Star.png

I suppose that it is possible, but, based on the motor winding connections as shown internally in the upper diagram, I really don't think so. However, I could be wrong. My understanding is that on Low voltage, the jumpers configure it for a two Delta setup and on High voltage as a one Delta setup. The bottom diagram for Wye-Delta starting would work on a conventional motor. If you must run it as a Wye-Delta setup, you will need to get a motor shop to re-configure the internal windings/wiring connections.

What scott.lawrence's link shows is for a conventional 9 leads motor.

Last edited:
What scott.lawrence's link shows is for a conventional 9 leads motor.
Odd then, is it not, that the title of the page is
"Wye Start Delta Run" ??
That is indeed the internal connection pattern for a typical 6 lead motor made for Wye Start / Delta Run, yes. but a 9 lead motor is designed for dual votlage, not for Wye-Delta starting.

Do you have a Wye-Delta starter for it already? If not, I personally wouldn't bother. I hate Wye-Delta, it always causes more problems than it solves. I use Solid State Soft Starters, they are almost the same price now and don't come with the same pitfalls and possible mis-wiring issues later on if they must be replaced. You can use that 9 lead motor with any soft starter.

Last edited:
Yes, the existing circuit is Wye Start, Delta run, but the new motor has 9 leads. Now I will just wire for Delta only then. Thanks

Yes, the existing circuit is Wye Start, Delta run, but the new motor has 9 leads. Now I will just wire for Delta only then. Thanks
As jraef said, the best solution is to use a Solid State Soft Start to start the motor, if needed, since you said that you are wiring it in a Delta configuration.

" I use Solid State Soft Starters, they are almost the same price " can you recommend one for 30 HP?
jraef could recommend one much better than me. I can't make a good recommendation as I am retired and have been for several years. It will depend on your local vendor situation, availability, cost, and what you are familiar with.

Last edited:
I like Allen Bradley SMC Flex; fully programmable, built-in bypass contacts, lots of motor and load protection features, keypad and display that can be remote mounted, communications ready etc. etc. Their SMC-3 is less expensive and less capable, no display, not keypad, no comms, just basic motor OL protection, but still way better than any Wye Delta.

Stay away from the really cheap ones that use SCRs in only 2 of the 3 phases (A-B doesn't sell that type at all). Those are really bad for the motor and dangerous if anything goes wrong.

I like Allen Bradley SMC Flex; fully programmable, built-in bypass contacts, lots of motor and load protection features, keypad and display that can be remote mounted, communications ready etc. etc. Their SMC-3 is less expensive and less capable, no display, not keypad, no comms, just basic motor OL protection, but still way better than any Wye Delta.

Stay away from the really cheap ones that use SCRs in only 2 of the 3 phases (A-B doesn't sell that type at all). Those are really bad for the motor and dangerous if anything goes wrong.

+1 for the AB SMC's. I've not used the SMC flex, only the SMC-3, but no problems at all with it.

I've also used Schneider Altistart with good results.