Anyone ever hear of the abbreviation "CPT"?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys, I'm reading through some existing ladder logic and the original programmer has used the abbreviation "CPT", seemingly to describe a control panel. There are two PLCs in this project, one in the Filter Plant and one in a CL2 Room which is a remote site. If there's a power failure in the CL2 Room, the alarm is described as "CL2 BLDG CPT PWR FAIL". Similarly in the Filter Plant, a power failure is described as "FILTER BLDG CPT PWR FAIL". Elsewhere the same alarms are described as simply a "CPT FAIL" with "PWR" being omitted.

In the end the CPT abbreviation is probably inconsequential but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any chance someone might know what that stands for? CP would easily be control panel, but what could that T stand for?

CP could also be Control Power? Do these panels use 120V power off a Control Power Transformer?

YES! They most certainly do! That would definitely describe what's going on, since the Power Fail is specifically the AC mains and not the DC power supply. I'm thinking this is almost certainly what he was describing.

CPT = Control Power Transformer.

It's a more apt description as opposed to "Power Fail" when referring to CONTROL POWER, because it is referring to only that the control power is not there, which would imply that the CPT is not providing it for any number of reasons: blown fuse, tripped breaker, burned wire, failed transformer winding, it doesn't matter.

When you say "Power Failure" on a control circuit, what can happen is that Joe Bubba sees that indication, looks at the MAIN power and sees that it's on, so he decides that the indicator is defective...

CPT = Control Power Transformer.

It's a more apt description as opposed to "Power Fail" when referring to CONTROL POWER, because it is referring to only that the control power is not there, which would imply that the CPT is not providing it for any number of reasons: blown fuse, tripped breaker, burned wire, failed transformer winding, it doesn't matter.

When you say "Power Failure" on a control circuit, what can happen is that Joe Bubba sees that indication, looks at the MAIN power and sees that it's on, so he decides that the indicator is defective...

Thanks for the explanation, that definitely makes sense.