Converting

Adeline

Hi there, Does anyone know how a NPN sensor can be converted into a sourcing sensor? Can you describe in detailed lament terms how a PNP sensor can be converted to sinking. Are there any drawbacks to these techniques?

Anyone know what equations to write that could be programmed into a controller for the following conversions:

a) 4-20 mA to 0 to 100 gallons
b) 0-10V to 0 to 100 gallons
c) 4-20mA to 50 to 500 pounds
d) 4-20mA to 13 cfm to 26cfm (gas flow)

Adeline,

no offense intended, but you will learn nothing if we do your work for you.
I just finished a call to the plant and had to remote into the plant to fix the issue.

we are happy to help anyone, even this early in the morning, all we ask is that you put forth an effort first.

sensor, what is the output signal of each type of sensor?
when the sensor is turned on, what signal do you get?

conversion issue, what plc are we talking about?
hint, look into the analog portion of the manual of your plc.

regards,
james.

Adeline said:
lament terms

I will do my best....

"I am so sorry to hear of your NPN sensor needs to be changed, I am sure it will be truly missed"

la·ment
ləˈment/Submit
noun
a passionate expression of grief or sorrow.
"his mother's night-long laments for his father"
synonyms: wail, wailing, lamentation, moan, moaning, weeping, crying, sob, sobbing, keening; More
verb
mourn (a person's loss or death).
"he was lamenting the death of his infant daughter"
synonyms: mourn, grieve, sorrow, wail, weep, cry, sob, keen, beat one's breast
"the mourners lamented"

PS welcome to the forum :)

I'm going to ask if anyone on the forum actually knows what "NPN" and "PNP" are acronyms for, both the "real" ones, and the "colloquial" ones.

Don't give it away just say "Yeah" or "Nay"

Once you understand the terminology, you can quickly ascertain where your "sources" and "sinks" are, as the acronyms are nearly always applied to the configuration of the output stage of the device....